none
Re-installing WHS from 64 bit machine RRS feed

• Question

• I have to re-install WHS on HP EX-475 MediaSmart Server. Unfortunately I have only 64 bit machines, and software installation disc, which HP provided, is only for 32-bit machines. How can I workaround that issue?

Note that this question is NOT about how to connect 64-bit machine to WHS, but about setting up WHS when there is no 32-bit machine available

Monday, July 11, 2011 3:43 AM

Answers

• Well, it seems that nobody has an answer on this one. I will try and give you what I'm thinking of this issue. If anybody else has an answer, just share it here. I guess you're out of luck if you don't have any client running 32 bits OS. But, you still have few choices here, but no easy one.

First one is to find a client running 32 bits OS and connect it to your network. Install from there.

Second, since you have a full backup of your clients computer, you can format one of them, install windows 7 32 bits and proceed with your server re-installation. Once the re-install is done, you re-install your client with your latest backup from WHS. Another option would be to have one client with dual-boot with the choice of 32 or 64 bits OS.

Third, you can install WHS 2011 on your EX-475 if you can get a copy. I saw articles where stating they slashed the price by 50% which is a good deal. You don't need a 32 bits client to do so. Search the forums, there are plenty of ways on installing WHS 2011 on headless server, as I did it myself on Acer H340. You'll get some increase performance since DE is gone and it runs very smooth. The only drawback is you have to copy all your data on an external drive and then copy it back to your newly installed server OS.

Hope this help you,

Claude

• Marked as answer by Ilya_I Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:47 AM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:05 PM
  • There is no download of WHS 2011 unless you have a TechNet or MSDN subscription and then only for testing purposes. You will need to buy an OEM copy. It is available in Canada - search this forum as the question of a Canadian distributor has been asked and answered a number of times previously.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Ilya_I Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:50 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:24 AM

All replies

• Well, it seems that nobody has an answer on this one. I will try and give you what I'm thinking of this issue. If anybody else has an answer, just share it here. I guess you're out of luck if you don't have any client running 32 bits OS. But, you still have few choices here, but no easy one.

First one is to find a client running 32 bits OS and connect it to your network. Install from there.

Second, since you have a full backup of your clients computer, you can format one of them, install windows 7 32 bits and proceed with your server re-installation. Once the re-install is done, you re-install your client with your latest backup from WHS. Another option would be to have one client with dual-boot with the choice of 32 or 64 bits OS.

Third, you can install WHS 2011 on your EX-475 if you can get a copy. I saw articles where stating they slashed the price by 50% which is a good deal. You don't need a 32 bits client to do so. Search the forums, there are plenty of ways on installing WHS 2011 on headless server, as I did it myself on Acer H340. You'll get some increase performance since DE is gone and it runs very smooth. The only drawback is you have to copy all your data on an external drive and then copy it back to your newly installed server OS.

Hope this help you,

Claude

• Marked as answer by Ilya_I Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:47 AM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:05 PM
  • Hmm. I have an EX475 and the recovery disk runs fine on my 64 bit clients, at least as far as I've let it go (I don't want to do a server recovery at the moment...).

Have you actually tried running it? What error is reported? What version of the recovery disk do you have?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Thanks for advice

The third option looks the most attractive for me, but I cannot find the download of WHS 2011. It looks like it is unavailable outside US (I live in Canada). I tried to install from  http://online.holsystems.com/portals/sbs/whs/, but I got the following error:

* Activation of C:<path>\holLaunchPadOnline (3).application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

+ Deployment and application do not have matching security zones.

Can you suggest another option to install WHS 2011?

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:14 AM
  • There is no download of WHS 2011 unless you have a TechNet or MSDN subscription and then only for testing purposes. You will need to buy an OEM copy. It is available in Canada - search this forum as the question of a Canadian distributor has been asked and answered a number of times previously.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Ilya_I Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:50 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:24 AM
  • The third option looks the most attractive for me, but I cannot find the download of WHS 2011. It looks like it is unavailable outside US (I live in Canada). I tried to install from  http://online.holsystems.com/portals/sbs/whs/, but I got the following error:

That's not a source for software download, it's an online demo of Windows Home Server 2011.

Your best source is going to be someplace like Amazon or NewEgg, but I don't know if product is available in those distribution channels in Canada yet.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:37 PM

Hope this help you,

Claude

Dual boot is a great idea! Without formatting any client I just added a small hard drive to one of them and installed there 32-bit version of the same OS that was installed as a 64-bit version on the primary hard drive (i.e. don't have to purchase an additional licence for Windows!). It is a pretty easy and cheap solution.
    Dual boot is very convenient (thanks to EasyBCD), and all data from 64-bit OS is accessible from 32-bit OS and vice versa.
    Ilya
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 3:51 AM
  • Check your EULA, your might be surprised to find you do indeed need another license.

My EULA states the following:

b. License Model. The software is licensed on a per copy per computer basis. A computer is a physical hardware system with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate computer.

So, if you have it installed on two separate partitions, then for licensing purposes, you have it installed on two separate computers which would be a violation as defined by b. above.  Removing x64, installing x86 is permitted.  Having both at the same time is not.

However, that said, I don't think the MS license police will come after you, especially if you don't activate the second install.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Well, it seems that nobody has an answer on this one. I will try and give you what I'm thinking of this issue. If anybody else has an answer, just share it here. I guess you're out of luck if you don't have any client running 32 bits OS. But, you still have few choices here, but no easy one.

Hope this help you,

Claude

Dual boot is a great idea! Without formatting any client I just added a small hard drive to one of them and installed there 32-bit version of the same OS that was installed as a 64-bit version on the primary hard drive (i.e. don't have to purchase an additional licence for Windows!). It is a pretty easy and cheap solution.
    Dual boot is very convenient (thanks to EasyBCD), and all data from 64-bit OS is accessible from 32-bit OS and vice versa.
    Ilya

BullDawg
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 5:23 AM