Activation Preventing Computer Repair RRS feed

• Question

• I am supporting a computer that developed serious installation and permissions issues.  It is a Toshiba Laptop Running Windows XP SP3. 
    I booted to the Windows XP SP2 retail CD and ran a system repair by selecting "install windows" and "repair the existing installation." 

After this repair is complete, the system crashes on bootup.  Some research shows that some MSSQL software is causing this crash.  It only happens in SP2, and my repair installation returned me to SP2.  I can try to boot up and I get to different points in the process but the system always crashes with the telltale error message.

The solution I see is to disable the SQL services or somehow get the system back to SP3.  Here's the kicker: When I boot into safe mode, I immediately get a Windows Product Activation dialog box saying that I can't continue until I activate, I can't log on, and I can't activate in safe mode.

So I'm stuck.  I can't boot into normal windows long enough to activate, I can't boot into safe mode at all (THANKS MS!), I can't do anything offline because my admin account is domain based.  Is there a way to get to the recovery console with a domain account?  Is there any way for me to edit services or install SP3 without logging on? 
    Thanks!
    -Ben

Monday, February 22, 2010 3:57 PM

Answers