none
Pinning MS VS2005 Cluster debugger to issued job via -job XXX.0 argument RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

same question as in the old forum, which I cannot reach anymore.

I issue a job, starting msvsmon.exe for debugging purposes on 2 nodes.
    Now I want to debug my application and have the following Debugging setup:

MpiRun Command: mpiexec
    MpiRun Arguments: -np 8 -job 845.0
    Appp command \\server\share\user\HelloWorldMPI\x64\release\HelloWorldMPI.exe
    MPIShim loc:c:\temp\mpishimx64\mpishim.exe

It executes 8 processes on the local system and does not attach to the scheduled job.

If i specifiy the nodes explicitly (the same as in the job) I get an error:
    mpiexec running on ccsmaster is unable to connect to msmpi service on ccs008,ccs
    009:8677

Other MPI error, error stack:
    MPIDU_Sock_post_connect_filter(1258): unable to connect to ccs008,ccs009 on port
     8677, no endpoints
    MPIDU_Sock_post_connect_filter(1278): gethostbyname failed, The requested name i
    s valid, but no data of the requested type was found.  (errno 11004)
    Press any key to continue . . .

Debugging worked, when I started msvsmon.exe through remote login and then submitted a job directly through the MS VS 2005 Interface.

However as every user should be able to do this, remote login is not an option.
    The other alternative, running msvsmon.exe as a system service does not work either.

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:34 AM

Answers

• A teammate, Phil, asked me to relay below response to you. He has no web access currently. HTH. -Volker

Hi Johannes,

The information you’ve posted indicates that the MPI project debug properties settings may be incorrect.  We’ve posted some guidance that you might peruse and most of it is accessible via the following Live search:

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-us&q=MPI+debug+site%3Amicrosoft.com&FORM=TOOLBR

Another document entitled “Basic Usage of the Parallel Debugger” is archived at http://archive.windowshpc.net, under the ‘files’ tab.  Note especially, the project properties configuration associated with the debug session. 

We appreciate your participation in the forum!

Thursday, November 15, 2007 5:50 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for suggesting rechecking all again. I don't know why I never used the  -machinefile option, perhaps I though it does the same thing as -host.
    Finally using -machinefile and defining the wanted nodes inside a text file, the debugging executes on both cluster nodes without the need of logging in and starting anything by hand.

Thank you very much!

Friday, November 16, 2007 9:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Johannes,

can't help you with the technical issue but all "old" content (including your old focum post and any potential replies) is not lost! The content will be available in an archive very soon. We will make an announcement on the new windowshpc.net portal as soon as the archive is available. Thanks for your understanding.

Volker

(Microsoft Server Evangelism)

Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:14 AM
  •  Volker Will wrote:

Hi Johannes,

can't help you with the technical issue but all "old" content (including your old focum post and any potential replies) is not lost! The content will be available in an archive very soon. We will make an announcement on the new windowshpc.net portal as soon as the archive is available. Thanks for your understanding.

Volker

(Microsoft Server Evangelism)

Thanks.

I knew, I read the announcement. Just wanted to state that the question itself is not new and I'm still working on that.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 5:24 PM
  • A teammate, Phil, asked me to relay below response to you. He has no web access currently. HTH. -Volker

Hi Johannes,

The information you’ve posted indicates that the MPI project debug properties settings may be incorrect.  We’ve posted some guidance that you might peruse and most of it is accessible via the following Live search:

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-us&q=MPI+debug+site%3Amicrosoft.com&FORM=TOOLBR

Another document entitled “Basic Usage of the Parallel Debugger” is archived at http://archive.windowshpc.net, under the ‘files’ tab.  Note especially, the project properties configuration associated with the debug session. 

We appreciate your participation in the forum!

Thursday, November 15, 2007 5:50 PM
  • Hi,

I achecked the instructions many times now.
    debugging itself works with the following setup.

I am logging in on node ccs008 and ccs009  and start the msvsmon with my user account.
    Then I put in the credentials to create a job:

MPIRUN Command             job submit /askednodes:ccs008,ccs009 /numprocessors:8 mpiexec -l
    Application command          \\server\share\<user>\HelloWorldmpi\x64\release\HelloWorldMPI.exe
    aso.

Hitting the debug button ends up in 8 processes, 4 executing on node ccs008 and 4 on ccs009.

Are there certain requirements the issued job must have, so that I can pin my debugging with the -job option to the scheduled job?

However I'm gonna check all Live Search links  again!

Thanks for your help
    Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:20 PM
  •  Volker Will wrote:

The document mentioned here is also listed in the new site's "Resouces" section as "Basic Usage of the Visual Studio 2005 Parallel Debugger"

Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:45 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for suggesting rechecking all again. I don't know why I never used the  -machinefile option, perhaps I though it does the same thing as -host.
    Finally using -machinefile and defining the wanted nodes inside a text file, the debugging executes on both cluster nodes without the need of logging in and starting anything by hand.

Thank you very much!

Friday, November 16, 2007 9:48 AM
  • vgjvgjvgj

Friday, April 11, 2008 11:38 AM