Cannot connect clients RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully installed WHS 2011 RC & Remote Access & domain name configured.  On using http://server name/connect from various clients, kept getting "could not find xxxx(server name).  Read through quite a few threads here, then disabled firewalls on server & clients, & still no joy.

Reset router to defaults & tried again, still no joy.  However, by typing in the domain name in the address bar, got staright to the server & logged in.

I have pinged all clients & server from each other & no problems there.

Initially did think that with the server being stuck on "workgroup", that would cause a problem so changed all clients to workgroup but still cannot connect clients.

Advice on where I maybe going wrong will be appreciated.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 3:31 PM

Answers

• Do you have more than one server on your network?  Did you change the server name?  Try typing the IP address of the server /connect (192.168.X.XXX/connect)  If your network can see the server, its something with the name.  Try the IP address, and see if that works.
    D.W.
    • Marked as answer by Sirius B Sunday, February 27, 2011 4:59 PM
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 4:21 PM

All replies

• Do you have more than one server on your network?  Did you change the server name?  Try typing the IP address of the server /connect (192.168.X.XXX/connect)  If your network can see the server, its something with the name.  Try the IP address, and see if that works.
    D.W.
    • Marked as answer by Sirius B Sunday, February 27, 2011 4:59 PM
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Magic, thanks very much DW.  All clients now connected.  No, only have the one server on Home Network (using caddies on server with WHSv1 pulled).

As for the name, I haven't changed the server name on 2011, but is it a different name than the one on v1.  WHS v1 was Xxxxx-UK & I just used Xxxxx on 2011.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 4:58 PM