WHS won't install on the machine it was on RRS feed

• Question

• I can't get WHS sever original version to install. I have never had this problem before. It gives me a message Creating Volume Failed: Catastrophic failure (error code 0x8000fff). I as first though it was because the disk was bigger than 1T so I bought a 1T HD to replace the 2T HD I was trying to install it on. Well it does the same thing with the 1T HD. So what the heck is going on here? It does install a basic version of XP but it does not install the WHS part of it. Do the newer generation of hard disk require something special to run? I have had nothing but trouble with this. I also tried to clone to a new drive and it installs the OS but won't recognize the rest of the disk. It puts 20G in the boot and the rest as a data drive. I am about to pull my hair out on this thing. Does it need drivers for a SATA hard drive?

Perry

Perry

Saturday, October 17, 2015 2:29 AM

All replies

• Ok well I have done some experimenting and have found that WHS won't recognize newer SATA drives. These drives are not above the 2T limit so there should not be a problem with them being 4K drives. I was under the impression that SATA6 drives were backwards compatible with SATA3 but it does not appear that way.I was able to get WHS to install on an old IDE drive and my BIOS is configured to treat SATA as IDE. This is an extremely irritating problem.

Perry

Perry

• Edited by Perry114 Sunday, October 18, 2015 2:42 PM
    Sunday, October 18, 2015 2:20 PM
  • The original WHS is based on Windows Server 2003 and as such doesn't support SATA drives out of the box. You'll need to supply the drivers during the initial part of the setup by pressing F6 when prompted to insert a floppy disk with the drivers. Be aware that this F6 message only displays for a very short time.

Shouldn't you have afloppy drive then there are 2 options: buy an external USB floppy drive for around 20$ or slipstream your installation CD with the SATA drivers.

Luc.

• Edited by LucTh Sunday, October 18, 2015 5:45 PM
    Sunday, October 18, 2015 5:44 PM
  • Ok where do the SATA drivers come from? Are they supplied by the motherboard manufacture or the drive manufacture?

Perry

Perry

Sunday, October 18, 2015 9:44 PM
  • The motherboard is an ASUS P5G43T-M Pro. The drive is a WD1003FZEX. There are no SATA drivers for this motherboard that I can find.

Perry

Perry

Sunday, October 18, 2015 11:06 PM
  • The drivers are supplied by the motherboard manufacturer. If you can't find them there then use the generic Intel driver for the ICH10 controller. Search intel.com for the ICH10 sata driver.

Luc.

Monday, October 19, 2015 10:52 AM
  • You could also try, if the disk itself works - boot the machine from Windows 7, 8 or 10 installation medium and check with diskpart, if the volume is listed and if you can create and format a volume successful. Sometimes also the SATA wire or port may be the culprit.

If so, run diskpart clean against this disk and after doing so try again.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, October 26, 2015 3:33 PM
  • The BIOS is seeing the disk. I am put another disk on the same port and it boots. I can use a SATA to IDE adapter and get the disk to work when coming in through the IDE port but when I connect as a SATA again then it won't boot. I think I swapped the motherboard at some point and had the same problems. I was shocked to see what server software costs from MS. Can't find WHS 2011 even anymore for less than $150 and it was $50 not long ago.

Perry

Perry

Monday, October 26, 2015 6:29 PM
  • Ok I am making some progress. It looks like the older motherboards that supported SATA I and II ais not compatible with SATA III. I finally broke down and installed WHS on a more up to data motherboard and it installed just fine. I took that drive out before loading drivers and it would not boot in the old server motherboard. I think I have tried with  more than one older motherboard with similar results. What I would need to make it work is a driver that will make the newer drives compatible with the older motherboards. It is some sort of SATA driver issue and loading an old driver is not going to help. I guess I will have to break down and buy another motherboard.

Perry

Perry

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:30 AM
  • Some older mainboards had two different SATA controllers, so you may need to change the other one to IDE/ATAPI mode in Bios as well or find an SATA port which is supported by the controller which you have set to IDE/SATA.

Olaf

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:51 PM
  • I had the port set to IDE mode and it still would not work.I need to load a driver but what? The controller is made by Jmicron.

Perry

Perry

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 1:00 PM
  • If it is properly set to IDE mode in Bios, than you should not need any additional driver. So you might still try another SATA cable and port ... or the mainboard is somehow broken or its ATAPI support not fully compatible.

Olaf

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 3:55 PM