Restore problems due to a lack of network driver for Dell Vostro 200 slimline desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to carry out a restore as WHS does not see my network hardware. Although I have followed the procedure for copying drivers from the Windows Home Server Drivers For Restore folder to my USB stick, WHS does not pick up the drivers from the folder when I select "Scan" (my hard drive is detected OK). As a consequence, I cannot do a restore.

I have also tried copying the network driver .EXE file onto the USB stick from the Dell website, but still no joy.

Any ideas, please?

Saturday, August 9, 2008 3:06 PM

Answers

•  

you are on the right track.  The network driver .EXE file from the dell web site needs to be extracted. I know its a self installing .exe, but I think you can launch it so it extracts (make note of where it extacts to) and then when it wants to install just cancel it. You can now go and copy the extracted files to the USB stick.  Try the restore that way I've only done one restore and I had the same issue where I had to get the network drivers as they were not on the WHS restore disk. I think I did the same thing, (ECS motherboard) had to go find the drivers and use a USB drive... If I remember you need to have the USB stick installed at the start of this... cant add it in when its time to go find the drivers.

-Dave

Saturday, August 9, 2008 4:01 PM

All replies

•  

you are on the right track.  The network driver .EXE file from the dell web site needs to be extracted. I know its a self installing .exe, but I think you can launch it so it extracts (make note of where it extacts to) and then when it wants to install just cancel it. You can now go and copy the extracted files to the USB stick.  Try the restore that way I've only done one restore and I had the same issue where I had to get the network drivers as they were not on the WHS restore disk. I think I did the same thing, (ECS motherboard) had to go find the drivers and use a USB drive... If I remember you need to have the USB stick installed at the start of this... cant add it in when its time to go find the drivers.

-Dave

Saturday, August 9, 2008 4:01 PM
  • Thanks Dave, I'll give that a go..

Saturday, August 9, 2008 4:14 PM
  • Fantastic!!! - That did the trick!! I used Power Archiver ver 6.11 (freeware) to extract all the files from the EXE file onto the USB stick and the programme found the necessary files when I selected "Scan" after it couldn't detect the network drivers. After that all went well through to selecting the required backup.

Thanks again!

Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:58 PM