Confused about different accounts RRS feed

• Question

• I am so confused about account names, computer names, and user names.  If I setup an account with a user name WHS wants computer name.  If I setup account with computer name WHS wants user name.  What gives here?  What is the correct procedures for names.  And I see that one can't have the same name for the computer and the user?????????
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 3:31 PM

Answers

• I don't know exactly what you are talking about here but I will give it a shot.

In order for logons to work correctly computer names, and user names must be unique.  So lets say for instance you have 3 home computers and a home server.  You would need to have 4 unique computer names say:

SERVER

PC1

PC2

PC3

Each one of thoes devices would also need to have unique user (logon) names so lets say:

Mom

Dad

Son

This way when Mom logs on to PC1 she will be able to have Read/Write access to her \\server\users\mom directory, but when Dad logs on to PC1 he has Read/Write access to \\server\users\Dad.

If each of these items were not Unique the network would not know the difference between the computer name 'mom' and the user name 'mom'.

Just an FYI a username is something like Mom, or Joe and account just is a different way of referencing a username.   So lets say Mary Smith has an account on 'SERVER' with a username of 'Mom'

Maybe I answered your question.. Maybe not, but hope this helps.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 3:42 PM