Using a 32 bit DLL on 64 bit server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a C# console application that use a 32 bit dll (quickfix_net.dll). It works fine on my development PC , windows 7 64 bit version. But when I try to deploy it on a windows 2008 server (64 bit) , it complaints it can't find the above dll, although it is in the same folder as the exe that I run.

I tried buiding the whole project to target X86, 64 bit but no luck.

Any help, hint is appreciated

Thanks

V

• Moved by CoolDadTx Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:31 PM Not IDE related (From:Visual C# IDE)
    • Moved by Mike Dos Zhang Friday, November 26, 2010 6:51 AM third party product (From:Visual C# General)
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Is your solution targeting AnyCPU?  If so, you'll want to change that to target x86, because a 64 bit application can't load a 32 bit assembly.
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:42 PM
  • Hi Chris,

I'm using VS 2010 and I tried doing that, it doesn't seems to help. I went to Solution Property => Configuration Properties and then chaged the platfor of the project to x86 and it still kept givign me the same error.

Thanks

V

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:39 PM
  • I've recently run into something similar.  Ensure that you go to Project Property => Build => Platform Target and have the same platform selected.  I had 2 different platforms selected, and an assembly was trying to access a 32 bit driver from a 64 bit process.
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:42 PM
  •  

Hi vije,

Welcome to MSDN Forums!

I have not used the quickfix_net.dll and also not familiar with it. If your application can run well in windows7, then it could be that dll has not support windows server 2008.

http://www.quickfixengine.org/services.html

And I think the best place to make sure this issue is here, to let that product support to help you, they will be the expert on this tool.

Have a nice day!

Mike

[All-In-One Code Framework]

Sample world! You will get more from this world!

Welcome to the new world!

=================================================

Third party disclaimer

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information is found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Friday, November 26, 2010 6:51 AM
  • Thank you for your post!  I would suggest creating a new thread for your question in the (Windows Server TechCenter > Windows Server Forums > Setup Deployment ) forum located here:  (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/winserversetup/threads).

Hope that would be helpful.

Have a great day!

Thanks & regards,

Siddharth Chavan Tier II Application Support Server and Tools Online Operations Team.
    Friday, November 26, 2010 9:53 AM
  • Hi,

I found the solution. Installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=A7B7A05E-6DE6-4D3A-A423-37BF0912DB84&displaylang=en

fixed the issue.

Thanks

V

• Marked as answer by Vipstercular Wednesday, January 5, 2011 1:00 PM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 1:00 PM