Server Restore/Reinstall complete but no files visible... RRS feed

• Question

• Long story short, I replaced the system drive, got a server restore/reinstall completed. WHS sees everyone of my shared folders, sees the computers I used to have connected to it and says that total storage is 667 gigs with 200 gigs free yet there are no files.

If I browse the shares, there is nothing but empty folders. If I try to view a backup, nothing happens.

I have viewed each one of these disks on a separate system. The files are there. The backups and info are there. So why does WHS NOT see my data after this process?

--Joe
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Joe,
    I answered already in the other thread. Not sure what exactly went wrong, for me it seems that the tombstones have not been rebuilt properly.
    So a solution would be to create a new shared folder in the console (or use an external disk) and copy the files from the file system to that shared folder (accessed via \\server\sharename).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:00 AM
  • I'm going to use a process I found on We Got Served. After spending about 90 minutes searching threads on the MS forums, I really don't find anything useful regarding a situation as this. A couple of folks have used the WeGotServed procedure to success so I suppose that's better than giving up to get my backups re-created. i fit doesn't work at least I still have the data.

Just seems really strange to me that MS doesn't have a process to rebuild the tombstones on its own rather than relying on a complete reinstall. i would think this would be a needed tool. As much as being able to continue on with a server restore if the process was interrupted.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:41 PM