OneCard Fire Wall Blocks Rebuilt Programs! RRS feed

• Question

• I develope software that accesses the internet for variuos things.  With OneCare's fire wall, every time I rebuild a program changing its version resource, I get the "Unblock" prompt when the program tries to connect.   That causes a new entry for the program in the fire wall list--one entry for each build.  This is really annoying because the first connection attempt after a program is built fails because of the fire wall prompt.

It there a way to unblock ALL versions of a particular program.

Friday, October 10, 2008 3:21 PM

Answers

• This is by design.

When the program signature changes, that is - it is rebuilt - it is a new program to OneCare. If a program executable is modified for any reason it needs to be approved once again as it may have been modified by malware.

-steve

Friday, October 10, 2008 3:57 PM

All replies

• This is by design.

When the program signature changes, that is - it is rebuilt - it is a new program to OneCare. If a program executable is modified for any reason it needs to be approved once again as it may have been modified by malware.

-steve

Friday, October 10, 2008 3:57 PM
  • That's all well and good, but a developer like myself should be able to override that behavior for specific programs or folders.

Friday, October 10, 2008 5:08 PM
  • That would make your system rather insecure...

-steve

Friday, October 10, 2008 6:29 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

That would make your system rather insecure...

-steve

Better than my firewall list full of seperate entries for the same dang program...oh and that unblock the app, then restart the app was a GREAT addition...

Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:08 AM
  •  

I have same problem using PSCAD/EMTDC which re-compiles a power system simulation file into a Fortran program (Still best for maths!) each time you perform a simulation run. Only work around is to turn off firewall completely I fear. Think I might go back to free AVG + a freeby freeby firewall when my subscription expires. If they could just add in an option to clear a sub-directory for fire wall access.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 7:38 PM