CD restore RRS feed

• Question

• After my HDD crashed on me, I replaced it with a new one and tried to restore with CD restore. Everything goes fine till the end. When I restart the computer, it doesn't want to boot up. Does anyone have any idea on how to solve my problem?

Thank you! 

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 1:17 PM

Answers

• I have created an issue with the team to investigate this problem.  Here is the internal look up code number: 30220

As for now, if possible, try putting the hard drive in another computer and see if you can restore the image to that drive.  Before booting from that hard drive, put it back in the original computer and see if it loads.

I'm going to mark this as answered.  In a week or so, unmark my post as answered and reply here asking me about the status of this issue.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:38 PM
  • Thank you Mr. Burt, I will try that at the beginning of next week and give you my feedback.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 12:31 AM

All replies

• Klode

Are you talking about the WHS hard drive or a client (PC) hard drive?

Bob

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 1:30 PM
  • It's a client PC. When I restart the computer, it says "Error reading disk, Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart computer"

If I install from scratch, everything installs well on the HDD with no problem. But I want my data back from the Home Server...

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 2:01 PM
  • I have the same issue.  In my case I was upgrading my main HDD to a much larger capacity, 40G to 320G.  The restore seems to go fine until it asks whether to reboot or edit boot.ini.  I selected reboot and it hung there for hours.  If I manually reboot I get the same error "Error reading disk, Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart computer".  Same thing happened twice.  If I drop the old 40G back in the computer boots fine.

I'll try the edit boot.ini option tonight but I'm not too optimistic about my chances.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 4:17 PM
  •  Klode wrote:

It's a client PC. When I restart the computer, it says "Error reading disk, Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart computer"

If I install from scratch, everything installs well on the HDD with no problem. But I want my data back from the Home Server...

I had a similar issue.  First I restored Vista and was told that it could not find the bootmgr file.

This forum post helped.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/478564-hellllp-bootmgr-gone.html

So I found that a couple of files in my c drive were missing.  I booted the install disk in repair mode and copied the files from CD to my C drive.  Then it told me that hal.dll is missing or corrupt.

http://shanegfowler.wordpress.com/2007/01/10/missing-haldll-error-corrupt-bootini-file-quick-fix/

I found the above site that helped.

In your situation you might  just see if running fixmbr will work.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true

Im not sure if fixboot is right for you, but you can read up on in here.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixboot.mspx?mfr=true

I know if this happened while my parents were restoring a machine I would be getting a call.  I dont think that MS has made the process easy enough for typical home users yet.

Austin
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 4:35 PM
  • Was this with RC or RTM?

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 5:27 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:
    Was this with RC or RTM?

IThis happened to me with the RC.  I do not have RTM yet.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 5:56 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:
    Was this with RC or RTM?

RC for me, too.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 6:15 PM
  •  StuTee wrote:

I have the same issue.  In my case I was upgrading my main HDD to a much larger capacity, 40G to 320G.  The restore seems to go fine until it asks whether to reboot or edit boot.ini.  I selected reboot and it hung there for hours.  If I manually reboot I get the same error "Error reading disk, Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart computer".  Same thing happened twice.  If I drop the old 40G back in the computer boots fine.

I'll try the edit boot.ini option tonight but I'm not too optimistic about my chances.

OK, I'm up and running again with my new 320G drive.  Here's what worked for me.  I actually did two things at once so I'm not sure which one did the trick.  The most likely fix involved running the disk manager before restoring, deleting the existing partition, and then creating and formatting a new partition.  Secondly, I had also entered my BIOS and done a "Restore Defaults" before swapping drives.  I noticed last night that this had enabled the onboard PCI graphics card which I am not using.  I disabled this before attempting the restore last night.

So, bottom line, this issue is no longer an issue for me. 

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 1:46 PM
  • The version I have is RC. The RTM is not available yet. I did run the disk manager too for installing the new drive without any success. Any other idea? May be the RC version is not fully enable but will be with RTM. Who knows???

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 4:33 PM
  • I have created an issue with the team to investigate this problem.  Here is the internal look up code number: 30220

As for now, if possible, try putting the hard drive in another computer and see if you can restore the image to that drive.  Before booting from that hard drive, put it back in the original computer and see if it loads.

I'm going to mark this as answered.  In a week or so, unmark my post as answered and reply here asking me about the status of this issue.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:38 PM
  • Thank you Mr. Burt, I will try that at the beginning of next week and give you my feedback.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 12:31 AM