How to stop LM from creating duplicate folders on desktop? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to sync some folders on two computers in my mesh. The folders are sub-folders under My Documents.  Live Mesh keeps creating duplicate folders on my Desktop with the contents of the My Documents folders that I am trying to sync.  How do I stop Live Mesh from creating these duplicate folders?
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 3:21 PM

Answers

• It sounds like you are adding the subfolders to the Mesh on both machines, which will result in a duplicate folder and not a merge.
    Remove the folders from the Mesh and delete the folders that were created on the desktops of both PCs.
    To remove the folder from the Mesh, delete the folders from the Live Desktop.
    Then, on one PC, select the folder you wish to sync and add it to the Mesh. Do not repeat this on the other PC.
    A light blue folder will appear on the other PC desktop.

Double clicking when it is faded light blue folder, brings you to a windows titled:

Synchronize folder

The text at the top of the window says "Synchronize folder with this computer."

The name cannot be changed/

The location is the path to your desktop folder.

Next to this is browse.

At the bottom of the Window is OK and Cancel.

OK accepts the default offered location - your desktop.

If you click OK, it will become a darker blue folder (still light blue) and it is now fixed to your desktop.

If you click Browse, you can navigate to a folder of your choosing.

Once you have reached that folder, click OK and accept the warning about merging with an existing folder and potential for conflicts.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, February 22, 2010 2:17 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you are adding the subfolders to the Mesh on both machines, which will result in a duplicate folder and not a merge.
    Remove the folders from the Mesh and delete the folders that were created on the desktops of both PCs.
    To remove the folder from the Mesh, delete the folders from the Live Desktop.
    Then, on one PC, select the folder you wish to sync and add it to the Mesh. Do not repeat this on the other PC.
    A light blue folder will appear on the other PC desktop.

Double clicking when it is faded light blue folder, brings you to a windows titled:

Synchronize folder

The text at the top of the window says "Synchronize folder with this computer."

The name cannot be changed/

The location is the path to your desktop folder.

Next to this is browse.

At the bottom of the Window is OK and Cancel.

OK accepts the default offered location - your desktop.

If you click OK, it will become a darker blue folder (still light blue) and it is now fixed to your desktop.

If you click Browse, you can navigate to a folder of your choosing.

Once you have reached that folder, click OK and accept the warning about merging with an existing folder and potential for conflicts.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, February 22, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Thank you! The above procedure worked perfectly.

I hope you can add the procedure to the FAQ or Live Mesh Help.  I think syncing two computers is one of the most common applications for Live Mesh, but the procedure is not clearly explained in the existing documentation.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 4:42 PM
  • Glad that it helped.
    -steve
    Monday, March 1, 2010 3:49 PM