[CRM 2011][Customer Portal] WYSIWYG content editor RRS feed

• Question

• When reading the Customer Portal Functionality and Administration Guide_V2.0 document for the Cusomer Portal, you can see that it offers the ability to edit content pages using some sort of WYSIWIG editor (if not "the" WYSIWYG, then it's something similar). Alas, after installing the Customer Portal as an Azure web-site, all I get is a plain text editor with HTML inside.

Is this simply because the Customer Portal isn't ready yet, and someone making the documentation got ahead of themselves, or am I missing something?

Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:57 AM

All replies

• Customer Portal does come with the WYSIWYG editor, the documentation is as per the product that was released. The user requires admin (or more) permissions to be able to see & use the editor I believe. Pleace check.

Thank you,

RBaliga

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:40 PM
  • My user is a system administrator for the CRM I'm working with. He's also added as a Customer Portal user (Contact) and added to the Customer Portal Administrators list - thus I can edit the site, albeit only in HTML form:

Is there anything else I must do?

Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:37 AM
  • Please ensure that you did not make modifications to the page templates (there are some important things in the page to enable the rich front-side editing).  In addition, please make sure you have included the Microsoft.Xrm.Portal.Files assembly as a reference in your portal (that is where the rich text editor is located).

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com

Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:33 PM
  • I've followed the installation tutorial that came with the documentation. The project had incorrect references when initially opened (the absolute path to the DLLs has changed, obviously), but it's otherwise impossible to rebuild the project without correctly referencing all the Portal DLLs. So that can't be it.

Saturday, September 1, 2012 5:44 PM
  • I'm having exact same problem and have not been able to find anything with this.  I have installed the 5.0.0013 version (8/29/2012) of the portal onto Windows Azure. Previously, I have installed several versions of the pre-5 versions, but only on premise.  This is my first experience with 5+ version of portal and Windows Azure, so not sure which is causing problem.  I believe I'm facing the problem even when doing a debug in Visual Studio (just can't do inline editing, everything else including authentication works fine).  The other difference here is that I just setup the user right from the portal and then granted appropriate permissions on the portal within CRM.  Previously, I've used live id, with an invite code and had no problems with inline editing.  I think I'll try to debug the issue on launch. I'll post back on results. 
    • Edited by BillCrm Friday, September 7, 2012 3:59 AM left out words
    Friday, September 7, 2012 3:58 AM
  • I tested this and this behavior is also occurring when doing a debug in Visual Studio, so I don't think Windows Azure is the issue.  I've attempted to debug the code to figure out what's happening with no luck. 

Friday, September 7, 2012 5:54 AM
  • The Customer Portal was recently updated and Microsoft decided to remove the TinyMce implementation of the rich content editor from the portal.  There are instructions in the documentation of how to download TinyMce and add it back in yourself.

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com

Friday, September 7, 2012 9:51 PM
  • The Customer Portal was recently updated and Microsoft decided to remove the TinyMce implementation of the rich content editor from the portal.  There are instructions in the documentation of how to download TinyMce and add it back in yourself.

OK... Then where ARE those instructions? Because they are NOT in the documentation folder, which still has the old documentation showing the WYSIWYG editors...

Also, where's that new version? Every source points towards the Pinpoint page, which supposedly has the 5.0.7 version (released on 6/12/2012).

• Proposed as answer by BillCrm Monday, September 10, 2012 9:59 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by BillCrm Monday, September 10, 2012 9:59 PM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 6:19 AM
  • Try adding the web page control access as described in Section 5 of the upgrade instructions.  You will need to add at least one publishing state and one web role.  I saw the upgrade instructions out there but did not read them previously because I'm not upgrading from a previous version.  However, they do go through some things that they think to tell you there, such as security and publishing states that they do not emphasize in the 5+ install documentation.   Here are the upgrade instructions, look at Section 5 (Setup Security and Publishing States)

http://community.adxstudio.com/products/adxstudio-portals/developers-guide/knowledge-base/upgrading-ms-accelerator-to-adxstudio/

Once I added a publishing state and web role access, plus a few web page access controls (see below), I'm now able to edit some of the pages.  However, I'm still trying to figure out how to edit the logo.  There is no walk through on the security that I can find like we used to have in the older versions of the portal.  The documentation does seem to be more comprehensive, but I appreciated those walk throughs, which I can't find with the 5+ versions. 

I'm able to edit the main page now and other pages as I add web page access controls, which is now required for inline editing, it appears.  I think the idea is to get more granular for security, as opposed to having a portal administrator role that can do everything.  You kind of need to build the permissions out for that role because it does not appear to have any out of the box anymore.  I've been able to play with it and I'm starting to get a feel for it, but you definitely need these setup before inline editing works. 

Shaaaaman, let me know if this fixes the issue for you because it did for me (again, 5+ fresh install on Windows Azure, which does not seem to be the issues).

• Proposed as answer by BillCrm Monday, September 10, 2012 10:10 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Bender Mateusz Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:04 AM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 10:10 PM
  • You're thinking of ADX studio, I'm talking about Customer Portal available on Pinpoint. Those are related, but separate things. The entities you described DO NOT EXISTS in Customer Portal. There's only Account Access Permissions, Contact Access Permissions and Case Access Permissions.

Unless ADX Studio also provides a free package like Customer Portal, then I do not want nor have the funds to play around with ADX.

Finally, the problem isn't with the ability to edit site content (which is the problem you described), but with the lack of WYSIWYG editor!

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:09 AM
  • Microsoft removed the rich text editor (aka: TinyMce) from the free customer portal this summer.  I have looked through all of the new documentation and can confirm that the instructions are not provided for you to add it back in.  I have raised this as an issue to the team handling the documentation and am still awaiting a response.  When I get a response, I will post it here.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Hi Shan,

any luck on the documentation?

Thanks in advance for your help!

William Toh | Dynamics CRM

Friday, March 1, 2013 1:47 AM
  • anybody managed to get the WYSIWYG content editor working? thanks.

William Toh | Dynamics CRM

Friday, May 10, 2013 6:17 AM