Hard disk performance challenges RRS feed

• Question

• I just rebuilt my server a week or so ago.  I use it primarily for media distribution with Snapstream's BeyondTV.  Worked great prior to the rebuild (had two drives die).

Now I get random dropouts in the video streams.  Sometimes it will go 20-30 minutes.  Sometimes it is every 30 seconds.  The hard drive(s) performance is crazy.  Runs about 150MB / second with random drops to 2MB / second.

Most drives are in two external eSata cases and I did switch to a Highpoint RocketRaid 2314 card.  It's a good card, so while it could be a problem, I'm not thinking it is.

The machines is a Dell XPS410 Q6600 Quad Core.  It does have an odd bug, with these symptoms, if you're running an nVidia 7300LE card. Weird, huh.  Had it since new.  Dell acknowledged it and bumped my RAM from 1GB to 2GB, which solved it (under XP).  Right now the machine has 3GB.  Doesn't have the card anyway, as it has an nVidia 8600GT.

I'll probably swap out the eSata card next, as I have another one based in a Sil chipset.  I don't like it as it doesn't support Smart, but I'll see if it fixes the problem.

Any suggestions welcome.

Here's an HDTune screen shot of the first drive:

Monday, May 31, 2010 12:54 AM

All replies

• I just rebuilt my server a week or so ago.  I use it primarily for media distribution with Snapstream's BeyondTV.  Worked great prior to the rebuild (had two drives die).

Now I get random dropouts in the video streams.  Sometimes it will go 20-30 minutes.  Sometimes it is every 30 seconds.  The hard drive(s) performance is crazy.  Runs about 150MB / second with random drops to 2MB / second.

Most drives are in two external eSata cases and I did switch to a Highpoint RocketRaid 2314 card.  It's a good card, so while it could be a problem, I'm not thinking it is.

The machines is a Dell XPS410 Q6600 Quad Core.  It does have an odd bug, with these symptoms, if you're running an nVidia 7300LE card. Weird, huh.  Had it since new.  Dell acknowledged it and bumped my RAM from 1GB to 2GB, which solved it (under XP).  Right now the machine has 3GB.  Doesn't have the card anyway, as it has an nVidia 8600GT.

I'll probably swap out the eSata card next, as I have another one based in a Sil chipset.  I don't like it as it doesn't support Smart, but I'll see if it fixes the problem.

Any suggestions welcome.

Here's an HDTune screen shot of the first drive:

Since you just reinstalled, it might be that Windows Search 4.0 (part of PP3) is indexing files.  Have you looked at the running processes to see if anything might be bogging the system down?
    Monday, May 31, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Can't believe I didn't disabled Windows Search.  First thing I normally do on any Windows install.

Let's see if it helps.  What a hog!

Monday, May 31, 2010 10:25 PM