Restore Backup from Windows Home Server Vail to Windows Server Edition RRS feed

• Question

• I have a feeling that others are probably going through the same mess I am going through right now. Using Vail for my family docs, photos and music. Bumped into the message that Vail was going to expire in 6 hours (by fluke I think, I normally don't remote desktop into my server). I read the forums, and then backed everything up before my time expired.

So I used the backup system within Vail to save all of my files onto an external USB drive.

I now reformatted the machine and installed Windows Server Edition 2008 R2. And attempted, but failed, to recover my files. Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated!

This is what I tried:

1. Started Window Server Backup (Local)
    2. Selected Recover...
    3. Recovery Wizard started
    4. Selected backup stored on another locatoin
    5. Selected backup stored on Local drive (USB drive showing up as drive F:)
    6. Selected the name of the server that was backed up
    7. Selected the most recent backup date

Now I have three options for "What do you want to recover?" A: Files and Folders. B. Volumes or D. System state. I was hoping for "A" but when I select that option and click Next I can see each of the drives, but they are all marked "Unable to browse Pictures (X:). The shadow copy of the backup stored on the backup destination cannot be found. *____*

OK, I backed up and tried option B. Volumes. I select Source Volume "Pictures (X:) (size: 2429.00 GB) and then chose my destination volume "Local disk (D:) (size: 1.36TB). And I get an error message. "The destination volume size is less than the source volume size. Choose a destination volume whose size is greater than or equal to the source volume size. *double ____* and some other expletives!

OK, I know I was a moron using a beta version to hold some of my precious family pictures, but I believe there are other morons out there just like me. The restore is proving impossible since Windows Vail pushed all drives together into one volume larger than any individual drive. I'm definately not a pro at this, so I have my fingers crossed someone out there will have pity on my and lend me a hand in restoring my files!

Thank you in advance!

Shane

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:13 AM

Answers

• So this is what I am doing to recover data. Basically I think its the same thing Susan Bradley has mentioned.

1. Unplug any network cables so it cant access the internet to pull updates, that will give you 3 days to get the job done.
    2. Reinstall VAIL (What I call FAIL now)
    3. Go to the recovery console within VAIL

VAIL reads the data from your backup just fine. The only thing you will have to worry about is if your data does not fit on one hard drive or RAID setup because you will no longer have the drive pooling option once you uninstall FAIL and install its replacement.

• Edited by SYSSU Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:45 PM Look nicer
    • Proposed as answer by SYSSU Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shane-G Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:53 PM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:42 PM

All replies

• I think your safer bet is to put it back and to do the server pack extension of time.  From there then robocopy out the data.

I'm not sure you can do what you are trying to do.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:58 PM
  • So this is what I am doing to recover data. Basically I think its the same thing Susan Bradley has mentioned.

1. Unplug any network cables so it cant access the internet to pull updates, that will give you 3 days to get the job done.
    2. Reinstall VAIL (What I call FAIL now)
    3. Go to the recovery console within VAIL

VAIL reads the data from your backup just fine. The only thing you will have to worry about is if your data does not fit on one hard drive or RAID setup because you will no longer have the drive pooling option once you uninstall FAIL and install its replacement.

• Edited by SYSSU Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:45 PM Look nicer
    • Proposed as answer by SYSSU Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shane-G Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:53 PM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:42 PM
  • OK, Thanks Susan.

I wonder if I can save a step by setting the BIOS date to Jan 9th (also the date of my last successful backup). I'll let this question sit out there for a few more days to see if there any other responses.

I've gone to my older backup  (straight file copy) and tried working with it but it's an old drive and is now reporting errors when I'm trying to access it. I'm starting to get more nervous that my family photos are going to be lost forever. OK, besides using a beta (yes I've already admitted to being a moron for that), I thought I was more than covered:

1. Dual redundant drives thanks to drive extender. - Discontinued

2. Regular Windows Server backup to an external 500GB portable drive. - Failed

3. Not so regular file copies to an external 320GB portable drive that I stored offsite.  - Crash n' burn

I will wait till the weekend for any responses on how to restore directly to WinSvr2008R2. Otherwise I will re-install WHS Vail, restore and copy as you suggested, then re-install WinSvr2008R2 and re-copy... again...

I'm starting to get suspicious that MS is trying to convince me to backup everything online. :)

Shane

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:44 PM
  • If you got the money setup a hardware RAID. For example if you have less than 1TB of data get 2X 1TB drives and run mirroring. Then setup a 3rd hard drive as the OS hard drive. Then you can do these steps below

1. Have setup above with 3 hard drives 2 or more setup as RAID

2. Install VAIL on 3rd NON-RAID hard drive

3. Recover VAIL data (Not os but your photos and what not) to the RAID setup

4. Install OS of choice over VAIL on 3rd NON-RAID drive 

THat way you only had to recover/copy once and your data will now be on at least some kind of data redundancy or protection scheme. If you do mirroring you can have at least one hard drive fail and still have your data. I'm not going to depend on software RAIDS anymore like WHS drive pooling because even though you can mix and match hard drives once you lose that original OS (Even if you reinstall same OS) your data is gone unless you backed it up. And even more if you backed it up with that OS you cant recover your backup without that OS. GRR! 

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:56 PM
  • Just sharing a bit more of my misery...

Preparing to reinstall Vail for this weekend. I started to make sure I had everything I needed. I installed Vail off a USB key (my server doesn't have a CD-ROM drive). The files for the USB key came from a downloaded image. My source of the downloaded image is stored on my //homeserver/downloads/os_images... I'll just go there and grab another copy... oh wait... the server has been re-formated.

So my Vail OS is stored within my backup. A backup I cannot recover until I re-install the Vail OS.

Now checking to see if I can re-download the OS, but guessing MS won't be providing a download of a beta that has expired.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Yup, SOL... couldn't find the ISO and doesn't look like Microsoft will not allow me to download it now. Anyone have any suggestions on where I could find the ISO?

My next option is piratebay but I want to try to avoid that if I can! But I need my family photos back!

• Edited by Shane-G Wednesday, January 12, 2011 8:59 PM typo
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Lemme see if I have a copy somewhere, hang loose.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:16 AM
  • Shane?  Send me your address to susan-at-msmvps.com
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:16 AM
  • Hi Susan, I really appreciate your help in finding the installer for me. I was able to track down a copy from a friend, so hopefully everything will work out. I will see if I can get it up and running on the weekend. *phew*
    Shane Family Tech Support Geek Don't know enough to be paid to do it, but know enough to be dangerous. :)
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:10 AM
  • Final comment for anyone following my misery.

I couldn't wait for the weekend, I started my re-installation of Vail this morning.

Set the BIOS date to one day before expiry, Jan 9th.

After several attempts to install with several BSODs Vail was installed (yes there was a moment there where I thought the hulk would appear and smash the server into tiny little bits).

I hit a small snag with the network connection. It kept saying there was a network error and wouldn't let me progress until I fixed it. So I had to plug my server into my router (but I unplugged the router from my cable modem).

Now Vail is up and running. Started up the Dashboard and am going through the restore as I type. A big sigh of relief after I did a small test restore of a single folder and it succesfully retrieved it from my backup drive.

Just want to pass on a big THANK YOU for the help and suggestions!

My advice to anyone else looking to migrate off of Vail into something else. DO NOT USE the Windows Server Backup! :) Copy them to another drive in a format that is easily readable by another OS.

Shane Family Tech Support Geek Don't know enough to be paid to do it, but know enough to be dangerous. :)
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:47 PM
  • OK, I lied, one more comment...

Set your BIOS date back more than just one day. The restore is taking FOREVER! I have 16 hours left until Vail says its going to deactivate and I'm only partially through restoring my files.

A couple of issues:

1. Each folder has to be restored individually. So I have to restore MUSIC, then DOCUMENTS, then PICTURES, etc...

2. You can only restore 1,000 folders at a time. My Pictures folder has 1,300 folders so I have to go through the restore process twice to get them all.

After 4 hours I'm about half way through. To get the rest done before my time runs out I need to wake up in the middle of the night to start the next folder restoration. Fun fun fun. But I'm still happy I'm getting my photos back!

Shane - Family Tech Support Geek - I don't know enough to be paid to do it, but I know enough to be dangerous.
    Friday, January 14, 2011 12:20 AM
  • Sweet its working out for you. I tried to do the backup and it was taking wayyy too long but I didnt mind that very much. The thing that killed me was I would get a "Blue screen of death" before a restore would finish. And if id try to start where I left off the restore would never start just hang at "0KB transfered". I ended up saying screw it and giving up. For now I use www.flickr.com to store all my photos and I use my MAC with time machine for anything else. Time machine is so easy and I have never had any problems with it. Thank you microsoft for screwing me over one more time... Some people might say "Well its your fault it was a Beta test" well that is why I backed it up but even that failed.

Friday, January 14, 2011 12:27 AM
  • On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 00:20:17 +0000, Shane-G wrote:

Set your BIOS date back more than just one day. The restore is taking FOREVER! I have 16 hours left until Vail says its going to deactivate and I'm only partially through restoring my files.

Check the thread about installing the beta of SP1 for Windows Server 2008
    R2. Following those instructions will give you until the middle of March to
    restore everything.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Want custom ringtones on your Windows Phone 7 device?
    Byte:  A mouthful, as in "How many bytes in a Big Mac?"

Friday, January 14, 2011 6:47 AM
  • Thanks for the info Paul, it looks like it is going to finish in time. Restore completed successfully last night. Now copying all the data back off to an external drive with the Windows Activation dialog telling me it will expire in 6 hours. I think I will JUST have enough time to complete! *phew*

SYSSU, that sucks that it didn't work for you. I am going to be one of those insane backup people now. Daily backup to another drive. Weekly backup to an offsite drive and monthly backup of key data to DVD! :) And I'm going to make sure at least one of those backups is going to be in a format that can be read directly and doesn't need any restore application to view! I think this is how WHSv1 works and I liked it!

Everyone else... another FYI from the other thread on this topic. If I had more drive space I could have restored directly to Windows Server 2008R2, here's my comment from the other thread found here http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/2561d1f2-bcdb-454b-a403-5821f1dbeda3:

Thanks Ken, you are correct. I was using Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Backup to recover my backups from Vail and it did read it correctly. But I ran into an issue where Vail was reporting each volume to be bigger than it really was and this caused the recover tool to say there wasn't enough space in the destination volume.

Sorry don't know the right words to describe but this is what I had.

Vail hardware has two 1.5TB drives. Each folder/drive i.e. Music, Docs, Photos were showing up as being almost 3TB in size. So when I tried to restore in Server 2008R2 it said the destination volume/folder wasn't big enough.

But a good point for those with extra hardware and a vail install with small drives, it looks like you could use Server 2008R2 to restore your backup provided the destination drives are bigger than what was being reported in Vail.

Shane - Family Tech Support Geek - I don't know enough to be paid to do it, but I know enough to be dangerous.
    Friday, January 14, 2011 3:00 PM
  • OK. I keep on learning new things so I want to add it here for others in the same boat as me.

Susan Bradley casually mentioned "robocopy out the data". I thought robocopy was an app I would have to install so I didn't think too much of it until I tried going through my directories and copy and pasting from drive to drive (yes I know some techies will be cursing me right now).

Robocopy is a command line utility. So I created a small batch file that looks something like:

ROBOCOPY V:\VIDEOS G:\VIDEOS /E /R:0
    ROBOCOPY W:\DOCUMENTS G:\DOCUMENTS /E /R:0
    ROBOCOPY X:\PICTURES G:\PICTURES /E /R:0
    ROBOCOPY Y:\MUSIC Y:\MUSIC /E /R:0

Don't forget about any extra folders you may have added, I had one called downloads where I kept all my downloads (including my ISO for Vail, read my miseries above).

ROBOCOPY S:\DOWNLOADS G:\DOWNLOADS /E /R:0

I'm new to Robocopy so I don't know all the parameters but the above seems to be working very nicely. /E copies even empty sub-directories. /R:0 is probably not needed, and maybe even shouldn't be used. It is the number of retries robocopy will make before giving up copying a file. Nobody is using my server (it's disconnected) so this should be OK.

After my backup is done using Robocopy I should be able to take my external drive to any OS and restore my files! *yipee*

Friday, January 14, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Having the same issue except I can not find my download anywhere. Does anyone know were I can re-download? Please email me at jeremy at krenzelak dot com Thanks in advance
    Friday, January 14, 2011 6:57 PM
  • "Krenz" wrote in message
    news:359f30b3-ae1c-4ab7-8453-839ea5b72c95@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Having the same issue except I can not find my download anywhere. Does
    anyone know were I can re-download? Please email me at jeremy at krenzelak
    dot com Thanks in advance

When I downloaded the refresh it was automatically put into a folder named
    Windows Home Server Code Name 'Vail' Preview Refresh. Inside that folder is
    a file called InstallDVD.iso. Hope this will help you find it.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Friday, January 14, 2011 11:53 PM
  • The ISO has been put back up on the connect site for people to redownload should they need it.

Friday, January 14, 2011 11:58 PM
  • [hen I downloaded the refresh it was automatically put into a folder named
    Windows Home Server Code Name 'Vail' Preview Refresh. Inside that folder is
    a file called InstallDVD.iso. Hope this will help you find it.]

I did a search for InstallDVD.iso and was given a list of locations to
    search. I chose Computer and was shown the pathname along with shortcuts,
    etc.

What I generally do when I download something with a generic name like this
    is to rename the file appropriately. I would have renamed this one Vail
    Preview Refresh InstallDVD.iso.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 12:00 AM
  • [The ISO has been put back up on the connect site for people to redownload
    should they need it.]

Thanks, Susan. I don't need it, since I already have it saved on my computer
    and was answering Krenz. (Gotta delete some of those old, old beta bits one
    of these days.) But it's good that MS put it back for those who do need it.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 2:48 AM