Windows Live OneCare - renew, obsolete, what's the solution??? RRS feed

• Question

• It is getting time to renew my subscription with Live OneCare, but it's my understanding that it has been discontinued and is being replaced with Morro.  When I go to OneCare's web page, it says it was supposed to be discontinued this past summer, but then it also has it up for sale at $49.95 for renewal.  What should I be doing here?  I do not want to purchase a product and then it becomes obsolete shortly after I purchase it.  It's my understanding that Microsoft is or will be offering something for free.  Do you have any other suggestions as far as an antivirus program?  Please advise.  Thanks.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:18 AM

Answers

• One Care will be fully supported through the end of 2010. When your subscription is due to renew you will be offered a free six month extension. You can install the free Microsoft Security Essentials for malware protection when your One Care subscription expires - http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:35 PM

All replies

• One Care will be fully supported through the end of 2010. When your subscription is due to renew you will be offered a free six month extension. You can install the free Microsoft Security Essentials for malware protection when your One Care subscription expires - http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:35 PM
  • I'm sorry, but I didn't see a clear answer to cheridub's question. Is our computer going to automatically renew OneCare and charge us $49.95, like the message says? Then it will last until the end of 2010? Or is the computer going to ignore the renewal and just give us a free 6 month extension? If it is going to be renewed either way, why do we need to install the free MSE for malware protection, since it is not needed. Please clarify. Thank you.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:03 PM
  • You will receive a free six month extension and will not be charged for renewal. Installing MSE is suggested for malware protection after expiration of a One Care subscription.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:07 PM
  • I'm sorry, but I didn't see a clear answer to cheridub's question. Is our computer going to automatically renew OneCare and charge us $49.95, like the message says? Then it will last until the end of 2010? Or is the computer going to ignore the renewal and just give us a free 6 month extension? If it is going to be renewed either way, why do we need to install the free MSE for malware protection, since it is not needed. Please clarify. Thank you.

You should not be charged for renewal. OneCare is no longer available at retail and renewals and purchase online will be stopped in the near future, though subscriptions will be fully supported to the end of their term of the end of 2010, whichever comes first. As Jim noted, we believe that those subscriptions expiring now are automatically being extended *for free* for 6 more months.
    If you are charged, contact customer service/support fora  refund.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:18 PM
  • You should not be charged for renewal. OneCare is no longer available at retail and renewals and purchase online will be stopped in the near future, though subscriptions will be fully supported to the end of their term of the end of 2010, whichever comes first. As Jim noted, we believe that those subscriptions expiring now are automatically being extended *for free* for 6 more months.
    If you are charged, contact customer service/support fora  refund.

Thank you for the reply. May I ask why OneCare is going away?
    I use Microsoft since they best know my computer system, since they created it.
    The new version, the free MSE, as I understand it is only for malware, so am I supposed to go outside Microsoft to get virus and firewall protection?
    How do I know who best knows my system, since they did not create it?
    The OneCare system has been very good, so I don't understand why you do not continue it. I don't trust anyone else.
    Thank you for your time.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:42 PM
  • The reasons OneCare is being replaced by Microsoft Security Essentials are found in the Announcement 11-18-08 thread at the top of this forum.
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/64d5a8bf-5c4f-4389-8510-76f233c65aa6

The new Microsoft Security Essentials is a complete anti-malware application, which means it covers protection for viruses, spyware, trojans, and even rootkits.  It's covereage and operation for protection are simpler to use, but better than OneCare contains.

Windows Live OneCare End of Sale Guidance
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/93ef4afe-d676-4e5f-bbc8-c9ef06295898

It will not include a firewall, but the built-in Windows firewall protects fine from inbound threats, while the new MSE monitors network traffic for malware activity, it just doesn't need configuring like a firewall.

Though many don't understand why OneCare is going away, I believe it simply comes down to the need to provide cheap (free) easy protection so as many consumer users as possible to protect themselves, as stated in the press release mentioned earlier.

Rob
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:07 PM
  • When mine came up to remind me that I was going to need to renew since my subscription is expiring, Microsoft wanted to charge me $49.95, and there was no indication that they were offering me six months free subscription.  If the "free six months" hasn't taken effect yet, then when is it going to take effect?  "Shortly" doesn't help me.  I do need a definitive date.  Thanks.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:39 PM
  • When mine came up to remind me that I was going to need to renew since my subscription is expiring, Microsoft wanted to charge me $49.95, and there was no indication that they were offering me six months free subscription.  If the "free six months" hasn't taken effect yet, then when is it going to take effect?  "Shortly" doesn't help me.  I do need a definitive date.  Thanks.

cheridub,

Where did you find this, were you logged into your Windows Live OneCare account (displayed in Help, About in OneCare) on the billing.microsoft.com web site?  This is where we've seen the offer, not elsewhere online, since this is offered only to those who already have a subscription.

Though this offer could end at any time, I saw it in my own account as recently as a week ago.

Rob
    Friday, October 16, 2009 12:00 AM