After adding a 11th drive to my machine (drive 10 in diskpart/diskmgmt) Home Server confuses it with drive 2. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, My home server has 4 sata controllers in it that support up to 12 drives.

I also have a USB external drive that serves as the assigned home server backup drive.

I recently added a new drive to the array (which shows up officially as drive "2" in diskpart / diskmgmt).

My USB external drive shows up as drive "10" (um, I feel that I should point out this is 2 in binary).

As long as the usb drive is plugged in and powered on, then the home server console UI will only show the volume name of the USB drive ("10") as drive "2" in the home server console.

In fact, I can get it to appear correctly if I remove the USB drive and reload the console. Everything is correct then. However as soon as I add drive 10 to the system (11th drive, but indexing is at 0), then it overwrites drive 2 in the UI with the 11th volume label.

1. Is there any functional problem with this? I don't want to accidentally overwrite the contents of drive 2 when I backup my home server?

2. Is this a known issue?

Monday, March 22, 2010 6:03 AM

All replies

• Please submit a bug report for this on Connect .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 22, 2010 11:14 AM
  • What do mean overide? Did you see 11 disks in your Console->Server Storage tab? I guess maybe you mean is that the disk order on the UI changes if you plug in the USB disk. But the disk number is correct. right?
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:13 AM
  • No, not exactly

1. If I boot the machine with the usb drive already powered on and connected, then I only see 10 drives in the console. (Drives 0 - 9) It shows drive "2" as the external USB device, which is actually drive "10" according to the disk service. There is no entry present for the internal disk which I just added. (Even though its functioning perfectly in the OS and accessible as drive F:.)

2. If I then properly disconnect the usb drive through the tray icon and then power off the drive, I can restart the console, and it will show disk "2" properly as the internal disk that I added with the correct label and size.

3. Finally, after step 2, if I again close the console, power on the usb drive again and restart the console, it will indeed finally show 11 drives, but at this point it actually will show *2* drive "2"s with the same size and labels (and both showing as usb).

Only state 2 above is correct, but this of course is with my backup drive turned off.

I have created a new bug number here and uploaded a screenshot of stage 3 above:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/543860

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:25 AM
  • Is that only happen when you have 11 drives? How about you temporay disconnect one other drive (not the USB disk and disk "2"), would it still show incorrectly?

I am very curious about this, since I used to added more than 10 disks into the WHS but didn't see this problem.  

Friday, March 26, 2010 1:59 AM
  • All the other drives in the machine other than usb are needed for other functions.

However, for some reason after leaving the machine sit for a week, this problem has gone away on its own.

The only thing that happened was that there was a patch on Tuesday which caused a reboot.

Saturday, April 3, 2010 6:01 AM