Another Server Backup Issue by a Noob RRS feed

• Question

• Hey.  I can't get my initial backup to complete for my laptop to WHS 2011. The initial backup results in an 'incomplete' and the resulting attempts fail due to 'an unknown error.'I tried a couple of things based the other posts I reviewed and even checked out the FAQ which was not very helpfull.  I tied the troubleshooting that is linked from the error message with the chkdsk and vssd stuff.  My theory is that if you can't get the first one to work, you are hosed.  Does anyone have some suggestions or can point me to some reference area that I may have missed? 

Thanks in advance!

Saturday, January 7, 2012 12:59 PM

Answers

• Try looking at this at the bottom of the page:

Backup & Restore

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by MaggieDog Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:56 AM
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 2:45 PM

All replies

• Try looking at this at the bottom of the page:

Backup & Restore

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by MaggieDog Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:56 AM
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Thanks for the response!   Unfortunately this is the site they send you when you get the alert in the dashboard so this is one of the first things I saw. Is there anything else out there? 
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Are you performing the first backup over wireless?  If so, perhaps attach laptop to cable modem via ethernet cable.  Try this for the first backup as subsequent backups will be incremental with much smaller data sets.
    Dave Guenthner [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.technet.com/b/davguents_blog
    Monday, January 9, 2012 11:20 AM
  • I just removed the computer, did a reinstall of the dashboard and then plugged the client computer(family laptop) in directly to the router and then ran the initial backup which failed again between 10 - 15% (I tried it twice).  Any suggestions on what my next step should be to troubleshoot?  The computer I am trying to back up is a Lenovo laptop that is practially out of the box with respect to configuration.  Thanks again for the suggestions!
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:30 AM
  • I ran through the process again last night just to doublecheck.....ran chkdsk again on each drive and it found something on my c drive which was the drive choking.  So to sum it all up, if you have a similar issue try both Mark and Dave's guidance and if you are a noob, try it twice in case you may have missed a step.   Thank you both for your help.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:00 AM