OFF TOPIC: suprise...defender uninstallation RRS feed

• General discussion

• Searching through, found part of my answer. I need to now find out where i go to uninstall the old version of defenders so i can install new update. Computer not that old like the first of Feb. Brand new vista which I love. Said to uninstall and reinstall. How do I do that. Please remember that I am not a computer master. Laymens terms would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 3:29 AM

Answers

•  anata wrote:
    Computer not that old like the first of Feb. Brand new vista which I love. Said to uninstall and reinstall. How do I do that.

If your on Vista, Defender is an integral part of Vista and should not be un-installed, nor should you be able to un-install it using Add/Remove. The Vista current version of Defender is 1.1.1505.0.  The XP current version of Defender is 1.1.1593.0  According to Microsoft, the versions are almost identical except for the Vista unique features in the Vista release.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 8:01 PM

All replies

•  anata wrote:
    Computer not that old like the first of Feb. Brand new vista which I love. Said to uninstall and reinstall. How do I do that.

If your on Vista, Defender is an integral part of Vista and should not be un-installed, nor should you be able to un-install it using Add/Remove. The Vista current version of Defender is 1.1.1505.0.  The XP current version of Defender is 1.1.1593.0  According to Microsoft, the versions are almost identical except for the Vista unique features in the Vista release.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 8:01 PM
  • Not easy, but doable.  Locate master Vista disk, (do NOT boot from it -  boot from installed copy) and run Setup.  When prompted, select add/remove programs.  Allow Vista to contact Web for updates during reinstallation.  After reinstallation, (if you're running OneCare) Defender will be automatically turned off during normal operation, because OneCare utilizes an incorporated version.  Whole rigamarole is still necessary, because Vista utilizes an incorporated copy also, turning it on as needed, for example; when OneCare has any trouble updating virus definitions.  Best wishes...
    Friday, May 18, 2007 1:01 AM
  • Sorry but you are off topic for this forum as we deal with Windows OneCare and not Defender. It is not a real good idea to uninstall defender as it may be needed. I will be locking this thread and marking it off topic.

chuck

Friday, May 18, 2007 6:43 PM