Why you should give beta people a release copy of WHS RRS feed

• General discussion

• So I must say I like WHS so far. I think I can make a case for beta tester to get a free release version of WHS. You see we are geeks. We are the guys(and girls) that all the other people come and bug to fix their computer. We actually get excited about new OSes. We influence people, because well we are their tech support. So really for every beta testers you give WHS to, they will probably sell 10 copies to the people they do tech support for. I think the buzz word for it is viral marketing. Anyway , it works for Nintendo and Mcdonald's, why not Microsoft Smile

EDIT: Man I really need to proof read stuff I write early in the morning.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 2:37 PM

All replies

• Yeah, I think it would be great if the beta testers got a free copy of WHS.  Heck, I'd be happy with a nice discount on it when it hits final release.  Then I'd have more money to spend on hard drives.

EDIT:  previous poster fixed the vital/viral thing.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 3:26 PM
  • I second this too Smile
    Friday, June 15, 2007 8:24 AM
  • Microsoft has said at various times that they will try to do something nice for the beta group. Since WHS is coming out of the server solutions group at MS, that may not include free product (that group doesn't give away a lot of free software). Personally, though, I didn't sign up for this beta with the expectation that I'd get any significant swag. Smile
    Friday, June 15, 2007 12:03 PM
  • I didn't sign up expecting anything more than just getting to use new software before the general public gets their grubby hands on it.  And it's proven to be a wonderful experience, regardless of whether I'll have to buy the software when it's released.  But one can always hope and dream
    Friday, June 15, 2007 12:22 PM
  • Agree with all the comments above, and 6 months of use of the RC is pretty neet, but...

as my mother used to say "askers don't get and don't askers don't want", so add me to the list of people who would appreciate a show of support from Uncle Bill.

Having to go into a shop and hand over the full price for Vista after having fought with it for so long did stick in my throat a little bit.  Some sort of discount or something would certainly make me more keen to push the Beta software harder rather than just trying to get it working.

Dave

Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:33 AM
  •  

While I wouldn't turn down a free copy, it was never my expectation, or even hope, to get one...

I joined the beta because I was intrigued by the project idea, and wanted to see if the product would meet my needs (It FAR surpassed them!).

- Getting a chance to evaluate a product without having to buy/return is all I expect out of a beta.

- Being able to assist in the development/bug fix/feature add of a product I'm interested in, is all I hope for out of a beta.

- Influencing MS to offer a System Builder/OEM version of the software for sale, without having to buy a full hardware platform, is a WIN for me in this beta (assuming the final product works )

Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:54 AM
  • I agree with Prelector that MS should at least allow us beta testers the ability to buy WHS without the hardware since most of us have the hardware already.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:12 PM
  •  Freight77 wrote:
    I agree with Prelector that MS should at least allow us beta testers the ability to buy WHS without the hardware since most of us have the hardware already.

MS has already stated their intention to offer WHS as an OEM purchase through the System Builder channel (newegg.com, etc).

Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:17 PM
  • I hate to be the one that disagrees but having just gotten my hands on WHS and having been involved in many pre-release stages of various things I wanted to add this:

I am so impressed with WHS and the work everyone has put into it that this is far and away the single most exciting thing I have used since us public people met the net.

I have done many beta’s mainly for games though consoles and other hardware occasionally and frankly this above all others I happy to pay full freight for.

WHS is sleek, efficient, wonderful and I’m trilled it exists without wanting any special treatment for putting some early effort into ironing out the kinks.

For any house / family with a desire to share and secure this is ideal.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 12:11 AM
  • I'm a CS major in college and to make a little extra cash I got a permanent seasonal job at Best Buy.  So while I only work in the summer, I deal with consumers quite often.  Getting the software out to the people who can get excited about it has helped a ton.  I did the Vista beta testing and then got a discounted copy through a bundle Intel had for retail employees.  Just having the experience with it makes me by far the most knowledgeable person on Vista where I work.  I don't expect it to be free, and like most of the other people here I really came just to see what this was all about. But hey if you want to give us a discount I definitely would not complain.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 1:44 AM
  • I second the above. I think that getting to use the software for free for this period of time is enough reward for pointing out any flaws we notice, but again I can't say that I would turn down a free copy .
    Friday, June 22, 2007 4:30 AM
  • I would gladly accept a free copy, or even a discount...but let's be real. MSFT is a company and they need money to survive. Testing the WHS was reward enough for me. 

I'm expecting that the OEM copy may be in the range of $99 - $199 for the WHS Server DVD & Client PC set. That price range is ok for me. I'm happy knowing that they have allowed us enthusiasts to purchase the OEM software for our own personal WHS builds, and have the "ready-made" appliance like the HP MediaSmart for people like my mum so that they don't have to go through the complexity of building a PC from scratch.

Like everyone else has said, I was never expecting that beta testers will get it free or even reduced in price.

Friday, June 22, 2007 6:49 PM
  • I find these amusing. "I'm not asking for a free one but if you want to give me one, I'll take it.*hint hint* *nudge nudge wink wink*" Big Smile

The bigger this thread gets, the less chance there will be that it might actually happen.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 7:26 PM
  • I can't imagine if it's going to be real. by the way, a discount will be great :-P I just hope this OEM WHS would be less than $150; if it's more than this I may have to think a sec.
    Monday, June 25, 2007 6:33 PM
  • I agree with everything except the "geek" label.  Bill, I know you are generous and the last thing you would want to do is use someone and not pay them.  Nothing is really free so providing beta testers with a free copy to install so that they can continue what they started is the best course of action.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 3:15 AM
  •  RealThing wrote:
    I agree with everything except the "geek" label. Bill, I know you are generous and the last thing you would want to do is use someone and not pay them. Nothing is really free so providing beta testers with a free copy to install so that they can continue what they started is the best course of action.

If nothing is free, how about if "Bill" doesn't charge you to test WHS and you call it even? In fact, you now owe me for the time it took to reply to your "nothing is free" nonsense. WHS won't be free either. Big Smile

People that only test because they expect something for free, shouldn't.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 7:02 AM
  • Just supposing Microsoft followed these suggestions. What would you do to differentiate between the people who have been on the program from day one and those who only joined at the RC stage? Or, those who have spent time and effort to answer other peoples questions and those who haven't?

Personally, I can't see the OEM software cost being too high, especially at the price some companies will be charging for a complete off the shelf 'black box'.

In all the software beta testings I've been on, I've never expected to get freebies.

Colin

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 5:09 PM
  • I'm still waiting for RealThing to explain how he intends to pay me for setting him straight. Wink

If people don't want to beta test, for free, they don't have to beta test. Nobody forced anyone to sign up, download, burn, install and test WHS.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 6:16 PM
  • You must be under 30 so let me explain it to you.  When the community of beta testers discover problems with beta software they are performing a service that allows software publishers like Microsoft to deliver a product to the public with quality control.  We (you included) volunteer our time and equipment because something about the product appeals to us but some of us spend time working out problems with the software that greatly benefits Bill.  If Bill charged for beta testers he would only get people like you and that is not enough to meet the goals of product development.  I feel like I'm communicating with a m????!  oh well.... this didn't cost me anything to reply; right (computer, Internet access, K-to Masters Degree education, electrical power, and my time)!
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 7:17 PM
  •  RealThing wrote:
    You must be under 30 so let me explain it to you.

Actually, I'm a grandfather and you're most likely closer to my grandkids age than mine. You're not very good at this, little boy.

Don't try to tell me why *I* beta test, your track record is zero so far.

If "Bill" was "stuck" with testers "like me" he'd be better off than using greedy testers like you with unrealistic expectations. Your "contribution" to WHS has been noted.

Since nothing is free in your deluded little world, you still owe me for your spanking.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 7:39 PM
  • As you're tarring me with the same brush, for I agree with SWE here, here's my 2 cents worth.

We (you included) volunteer our time and equipment because something about the product appeals to us but some of us spend time working out problems with the software that greatly benefits Bill. 

Yes, that's the point of being here, and at the same time have the chance to play with and help shape new software. And your point?

If Bill charged for beta testers he would only get people like you and that is not enough to meet the goals of product development.

That's a pretty contentious thing to say. Whilst quantity is not necessarily a guideline of quality, SME has made more than 450 posts here. He has stretched the envelope and IMO been a right pain at times, but he has contributed a lot to the program, and addressed a lot of people's problems. You I don't know, so I will look forward to your contributions and hope they will live up to expectations.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 11:33 PM
  •  Crash2975 wrote:

Whilst quantity is not necessarily a guideline of quality, SME has made more than 450 posts here. He has stretched the envelope and IMO been a right pain at times, but he has contributed a lot to the program, and addressed a lot of people's problems. You I don't know, so I will look forward to your contributions and hope they will live up to expectations.

I agree that number of posts or answered questions means nothing and you're obviously correct that I can be abrasive but I'm not here for a popularity contest, I'm here to beta test, give my opinions and help others, if possible.

Just wait until he needs one of my tutorials to fix something. Stick out tongue

Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:19 AM
  •  SME wrote:
     Crash2975 wrote:

Whilst quantity is not necessarily a guideline of quality, SME has made more than 450 posts here. He has stretched the envelope and IMO been a right pain at times, but he has contributed a lot to the program, and addressed a lot of people's problems. You I don't know, so I will look forward to your contributions and hope they will live up to expectations.

I agree that number of posts or answered questions means nothing and you're obviously correct that I can be abrasive but I'm not here for a popularity contest, I'm here to beta test, give my opinions and help others, if possible.

I'll 2nd the number of posts thing Stick out tongue

SME has probably spent more than 1/2 of those posts of his CAUSING trouble, rather than fixing problems...   But when he is helpful, he's dead on!

And I'd be the last person to say he wasn't a valuable technical resource to this Beta.

Friday, July 13, 2007 12:13 AM
  •  Prelector wrote:
    SME wrote:
    Crash2975 wrote:

I'll 2nd the number of posts thing Stick out tongue

SME has probably spent more than 1/2 of those posts of his CAUSING trouble, rather than fixing problems... But when he is helpful, he's dead on!

And I'd be the last person to say he wasn't a valuable technical resource to this Beta.

I, personally, wouldn't describe discussing WHS related threads (Cubytes excepted) as causing trouble. While I'm not the most PC geek in the forum, I do give honest opinions and feedback which some kids just don't like. Big Smile

Friday, July 13, 2007 12:41 AM
  • All in all MS should improve the incentives they give to beta testers MCPs and MCSEs.  They used to be better back in the day but my experience is that they have fallen off the horse.  That said I disagree with a few items.

First quantity of posts never equals quality of contribution.  Being in charge of a global support group I can tell you this from experience.  Rewards are best distributed by consistent participation in multiple programs and commitment to a technology displayed by a personal investment of time and in many cases money.  At least that is my opinion.

The other thing is that I do not think beta testers should be given free copies of WHS.  I think a competitive "professional" discount should be given to people that have participated in the beta program but giving something away for free devaluates it and lets be honest geeks are as much of the target market as we are influencers of it.  I would rather pay straight out for WHS even if it was around $250 than see this product come out without important features like Media Center and more flexibility in managing the storage pool.

Finally I do completely agree that it would be a poor idea not to make this product available without hardware.  I think for every 1 person that might buy a new WHS package from a OEM like HP there would be at least 1 that would by the OS and load it to a existing "server" in their home.

Just my 2 cents.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 2:59 AM
  • hmm ...

i agree that a free copy would be wrong, but i think a discounted one would be nice.

and i must say that i am falling more and more in love whith my WHS as it gets bether, MS has dunne a great jobb on this but so has the beta testers. so i think a discount would be nice.

ewen it does miss the vista 64 suport so far i think it is some of the most genius ive ewer tryed.

nice work MS

( sorry fore bad spelling but im not werry god at it )

Saturday, July 21, 2007 10:53 PM
  • Windows Home Server Beta was a godsend for me because it meant that my wife and I didn't have duplicate files on our machines and it meant that when she wanted to listen to some particular music that was on my computer, she wouldn't hassle me when I was in the middle of a battle in Tiberium Wars. Now all of our Music, Video & Family Pictures are all in the one place, and the best part is, I can access my server from anywhere with an internet connection!

I personally have at least 20 clients that want a WHS machine when it gets released!  

Props to the WHS Team and of course to Bill Gates for the opportunity to be involved in the WHS Beta.

In my eyes you, Bill Gates & MS, have pretty much redeemed yourselves with WHS after the issues I've had with Vista

(which have  been rectified)

One thing I would like to know is....How much will WHS oem cost to buy?

Thorn

Monday, July 23, 2007 9:07 AM
  •  ThornyCrown wrote:

Windows Home Server Beta was a godsend for me because it meant that my wife and I didn't have duplicate files on our machines and it meant that when she wanted to listen to some particular music that was on my computer, she wouldn't hassle me when I was in the middle of a battle in Tiberium Wars.

Props to the WHS Team and of course to Bill Gates for the opportunity to be involved in the WHS Beta.

In my eyes you, Bill Gates & MS, have pretty much redeemed yourselves with WHS after the issues I've had with Vista

(which have been rectified)

One thing I would like to know is....How much will WHS oem cost to buy?

Thorn

They haven't announced pricing yet. Sad

Monday, July 23, 2007 9:09 AM
  • Cheers SME! I really wish they'd at least tell us if it would be eg. AU$300 - AU$400.

That way I (aswell as many others I'd pressume) could factor that into my budget for my WHS build.

Thorn

Monday, July 23, 2007 9:47 AM
  • I too appreciate the benefits of WHS.  I would accept a free copy of the final product but never expected one.  A generous discount would be nice.  The RC release pretty much meets my needs and would be happy if the expiration date were removed.  Being a beta tester is a good way to use software for free before having to pay for it
    Monday, July 23, 2007 1:19 PM
  •  Edacton wrote:
    Being a beta tester is a good way to use software for free before having to pay for it

That's exactly why they should NOT give away free copies or discounts. Too many expectations and people treating beta programs as eval programs instead. That's why out of 100,000+ beta participants only a small number actually help out on the beta.
    Monday, July 23, 2007 5:12 PM
  • I agree with SME, one of the drawbacks of this beta program seems to have been the number of people who downloaded it for 'pre-purchase' evaluation and some of the questions reflect that. Plus, the expectations of 'getting something for free'.

Colin

Monday, July 23, 2007 6:30 PM
  • If the people who pay thousands upon thousands (and in some cases tens of thousands) of dollars for MSDN aren't going to get a copy, I think the outlook for Beta participants getting a copy is slim to none.

My two cents...

Monday, July 23, 2007 7:23 PM
  •  dmxrob wrote:

If the people who pay thousands upon thousands (and in some cases tens of thousands) of dollars for MSDN aren't going to get a copy, I think the outlook for Beta participants getting a copy is slim to none.

My two cents...

Closer to none than slim. Big Smile

Monday, July 23, 2007 7:26 PM
  • I joined the beta test in hopes of contributing so much stuff that someone would offer me a MSDN.  Truth be told, I wanted to get free stuff.  Since then, and now reading this forum, I have changed my mind.  I will beta test in the future for fun and to learn.  This was my first serious beta test and I didn't have much to contribute due to a lack of true technical skills.  I did what I could, but now I will be more useful in the future.

Thanks for allowing me to participate in what I consider the best project to come out of MS!  This is truly a fantastic product.  Please keep it simple; or at least allow people to unistall modular components.  Simplicity boosts security (as a rule of thumb).

Sadly, my HD died and I need to wait several more weeks before I can afford a replacement, so I have been a bit stuck in testing.  No, it isn't likely that I will be able to afford WHS, but I'm not complaining!    I choose not to have a lot of cash for spending.  Saving is a better bargain in the end.

Thanks again MS.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 5:15 PM
  • I have been a beta tester since ME also worked on XP & XP service pack 1 plus many others some still in beta. I have never expected anything free it is appreciated but not expected. I do this for the learning experience and knowing I can make a differenc. I am glad to see this will be avialbe as OEM so I can continue to use it. This has been very useful and will suggest it to my friends in the business.

Bruce Foor

Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:29 PM
  •  

I actually did not know that betatester might get some free stuff. I just wanted to see if the software fullfills my needs. And yes it does fullfill every bit of them. Therefore I will be an early buyer.

Thanks guys!

Friday, July 27, 2007 5:27 PM
  •  

I would be happy if you could pay online for a home oriented price and download/get e-mailed a RTM OEM key/license. If they make it easier for us beta people to GET it I will be a happy camper.
    Saturday, August 4, 2007 5:04 AM
  • yea i agree, but i would like it on a original dvd in mail.

i hope fore a redused price but the important thing is to get it.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 10:28 PM
  • Lets face it, Bill didn't get to be the richest geek on the planet by giving stuff away free and he ain't gonna start now. What he does need to recognise however is that no other company would get away with selling such bug laden software as he sometimes does and still trade. The opening up of the availability of prerelease software to the likes of us to test it, break it and report on it is saving him bucketloads of dosh. How much do you think it would cost him to have thousands of testers on the payroll and he still would not have the real world experience he is getting effectively for free.

No, I am afraid the likes of us are going to have to put up with paying for the software when it comes out and just bask in the warm glow of knowing when the public gets such a wonderful system that "I helped to give you that software and did it from the kindness of my heart"

Monday, September 3, 2007 12:07 AM
  •  Missing-Link wrote:

Lets face it, Bill didn't get to be the richest geek on the planet by giving stuff away free and he ain't gonna start now. What he does need to recognise however is that no other company would get away with selling such bug laden software as he sometimes does and still trade. The opening up of the availability of prerelease software to the likes of us to test it, break it and report on it is saving him bucketloads of dosh. How much do you think it would cost him to have thousands of testers on the payroll and he still would not have the real world experience he is getting effectively for free.

No, I am afraid the likes of us are going to have to put up with paying for the software when it comes out and just bask in the warm glow of knowing when the public gets such a wonderful system that "I helped to give you that software and did it from the kindness of my heart"

I bash MS products, just like any other product, when I think it will do any good.  I'll also fight to the death to right a wrong, you can see that in other posts on this board I've made about backups and remote access (for example). 

But to imply that MS's software is any worse than other companies is a bit misleading, IMO.  I don't know of many companies that came out with a v1 that simply rocked.  Even my software in v1 normally does not include all the things that people want, and will have a bug here and there.  It can't be helped.  People do things with software that is far from what I would think (or MS, or any software developer) possible.  They try things or have special setups that you could never dream about. 

No one has ever came close to offering us anything close to the product line that whs represents... no one.  I complain about backups, but truth be told, I'm more than happy to purchase with that little fault, simply because MS just saved me tons of time and money from having to purchase Roxio backup and acronis backup (I will still keep acronis for as part of my backup plan, but I can reduce my off site backups). 

The one thing I often ask my customers is how money would you have to spend to bring a product like this to market?  Is that harsh?  (well I don't ask like that)... but you get the picture.  I'll be MORE than happy to pay MS $200 for whs.  I'll more than happy complain about things that don't work to make the product better. 

Missing-link, I quoted your post, but this goes to everyone... please think about what you are posting and asking.  MS has to see a ROI on this product in order to improve it.  As I learned the hard way, people want software for free, but it cost a lot of money to develop software.  When you factor in the direct and indirect costs, it adds up quickly.  They even pay for the wonderful mods (well maybe not Ken and some others) to post here. 

I'm very sorry if this post offends anyone, that is not what I intended to do.... I simply want people to see the other side... things cost a lot of money and we should be happy to pay the simple drop in the bucket (less than) $200 MS is asking.  

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 8:19 PM
  • I'm a computer engineer (well really software but they don't have that distinction here) and I know of very few people that $200 is just a "drop in the bucket" to.  Well expecting to get a free copy is not right there is no problem hoping the get something and the length of this thread should be good to MS to once again say hey we have a good product.  I'll pipe in that this operating system was not exactly what I wanted/hoped for but it had a lot of benifits that I wasn't expecting when I signed up that I am extremely happy with it.  Hopefully sometime next spring or summer I'll have the "drop in bucket" extra to pay for this OS.  If I can devote the funds to it then this will be the next piece of software/hardware I'll buy.  In a couple of years I may even have the cash to upgrade my wife's computer she bought for school to Vista Ultimate so I can manage it from work when she is at home and having problems. 

Even if folks haven't posted in the forums they have contributed to the beta test.  I believe that my computer told me it was going to be reporting problems back to Microsoft automatically.  That was fine with me since that is the main way to get good information back there.  Also there are a bunch of folks here that are very knowledgable and quick to help others with problems.  That is great.  Does that mean that everyone else was ignoring issues and being takers only?  No it doesn't.  Some probably were doing that and some may not have had the opportunity. 

It is not wrong to let MS know that people are hoping/willing to accept a free copy or a discounted copy.  I was in the One Care beta and was pleasantly suprised to get a discount on the first year.  It is also not wrong to tell MS if you wouldn't accept a free or discounted copy because you thought the item was worthless.  I'm gathering from this thread that most people agree that this is a good product. 

Oh I won't say this but since I finally read this thread and saw SME tooting his own horn I'll have to admit that he was extremely helpful occasionally.  However most of the time (more then the 50% of the threads I checked and I actually did a search for all his posts and read them one day so I could mark the bad ones as useless and the good ones as helpful) he was just babbling on uselessly and trying to cause problems.  It is not just an abrasive attitude and he put it but more looking for attention.

Good luck folks and have fun with all your future endeavors!  I'm off to spend time with the new child and the holidays so I won't be back on this forum.

Once again good job on this product to the development team.  Hopefully I'll see more like it in the future.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 9:29 PM
  • Hi,

It been a long time with beta and feedback issue with Microsoft, way back in 1984 or 1985 (can not remeber the date), when I fax the company about the MS Word (that come with microsoft mouse) about the problem with Epson printer and the IBM PC or XT wysiwyg issue.

Then been in the win 95 beta, and thing never stopped then, and Microsft always been very kind and send me copy of the final products, from windows (all ver), office and a like.

But I did not ever ask about it or for it, and my main beta considrations issue to see how the products work and to know about it more. I slow down on beta after the wife start to bother when personals female from MS called regarding some bugs feedback and a like Smile

Same issue here for WHS, looking for free issue? no, looking to know the products, then yes, give more feedback to improve WHS, as I really like it, and for sure will buy it.

I hope, as Ken posted in other topic, to be able to test the upcoming ver 2 of WHS beta, then I wil lbe very happy Smile

My best.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 9:34 PM
  • I agree with aboder and theog on this topic!  I'll take something if given, but I don't expect it nor ask.
    Glad to play my very small part and enjoy the experience of the product life cycle.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 9:51 PM
  • Theo

I like others have been in this business for 20+ years and am probably being a bit harsh on the MS reputation but compared to the early years the number of issues that arise from the release of new software would not have been tolerated years ago. True the software is also far more complex and contains far more lines of code than was prevalent in the 80's. (What would fit on a 360k floppy now). The question is though which do we want, simple software that is rock solid or so feature rich that it takes more time than the developers have available to iron the bugs out.

I remember when Windows 95 came out and someone was bemoaning the hardware issues it had but I pointed out that I had nothing to complain about as if it was perfect software I would have no job to do. That is still the case but the software is now a consumer product so there is even more work for me. I also am extremely impressed with WHS to the extent that I have just ordered the released product from my supplier, I just wish MS and Bill would recognise how much those of us on this forum and similar that are first to try new products, want to understand it and want to use it contribute to his success.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 12:57 AM
  •  Missing-Link wrote:

The question is though which do we want, simple software that is rock solid or so feature rich that it takes more time than the developers have available to iron the bugs out.

The goal for anyone in the software business is to ship software that is bug free.  That is the main purpose of a beta program.       

Missing-Link wrote:
    I remember when Windows 95 came out and someone was bemoaning the hardware issues it had but I pointed out that I had nothing to complain about as if it was perfect software I would have no job to do. That is still the case but the software is now a consumer product so there is even more work for me. I also am extremely impressed with WHS to the extent that I have just ordered the released product from my supplier, I just wish MS and Bill would recognise how much those of us on this forum and similar that are first to try new products, want to understand it and want to use it contribute to his success.

I think your argument is faulty... it basically says that if MS holds a beta program, everyone who joined the beta should get a copy of the final release software for free.   If your argument was to stick, MS would never have a beta program or would only have closed beta programs with "real" hard-core geeks. 

My argument is that I'm happy to be given the chance to participate in the optional whs beta program.  I don't look for nothing past that... I was never told I would get anything in return, nor do I expect it.  I want MS to make a ton of money off whs... that way we will have a v2.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 4:53 AM
  •  When I joined I expected to get a  complete system with WHS preinstalled, a free  cellphone, a free copy of  Vista and personal thank you  letter from Bill Gates and perhaps some small  gadgets for my kids.

Now much to my surprise yesterday UPS delivered a big box containing all of these items except the personal thank you letter. Just a copy addressed to all betatesters.

This really disappointed me, so I'll never join a beta test again!

[EDIT] Ah, that's probably because I only have one yellow star.  Just wonder what the 5-star people will receive?, , ????????

Thursday, September 6, 2007 10:54 PM
  • Brubber, please forward that big box, as I have apparently received the actual "one star" swag, which is a letter that might have been signed by Bill Gates, thanking us for participating in the test and helping make WHS a better product.
    Friday, September 7, 2007 3:52 AM
  • Ken,

just PM your street address and I'll forward the  

[EDIT] which is empty now anyway[EDIT]

Friday, September 7, 2007 7:08 AM
  • LOL

Nice 2 posts brubber Smile
    Friday, September 7, 2007 6:45 PM
  • Bad news or as expected it's official we won't be getting a free copy in http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2113492&SiteID=50

Tom Ziegmann wrote:
    Beta testers will not receive a free copy of Windows Home Server.

Personally I got what I expected but I know others will feel hard done by.

Gordon

Sunday, September 9, 2007 3:03 PM
  • I'm locking this thread now. It's not really moving the purpose of the forums forward, and Microsoft has weighed in on the subject so it's a moot point anyway.
    Sunday, September 9, 2007 3:18 PM