WHS on an old Dell Optiplex gx260 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am trying to install WHS on an old Dell Optiplex gx260. I have that spare computer laying around and before I plunge and buy a real thing I want to find out how useful and easy to work with would a WHS be for me.

So far I have managed to install the basic Windows OS that comes with the trial DVD, but the actual server isn't working. Apparently there are issues with some services that wouldn't start, but I have not figured out which ones and what to do about it. Any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

-Bojan
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 10:24 PM

Answers

• Did you install a driver for the network card?  Can you ping the server over your home network by name?
    Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, December 19, 2008 7:44 PM

All replies

• First, when you install are you leaving the installation media in the DVD-ROM drive until you reach the (Vista-like) welcome screen?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 10:29 PM
  • Yes I do. It goes back to the installation screen, but then it doesn't want to install desktop search, after which the installation fails. 
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 10:56 PM
  • I am looking at the list of all the serveces, and the server seems to be running. So ther might be some really simple problem that is precenting me from accessing the server.
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 11:12 PM
  • Did you install a driver for the network card?  Can you ping the server over your home network by name?
    Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, December 19, 2008 7:44 PM