Live Writer for the Mac RRS feed

• General discussion

• Please get with the Mac BU and get an OS X version of Live Writer out there. The blogging tools for the Mac are the worst!! I am running Vista in a vm just for LW and Outlook - although I suspect from a revenue perspective MS enjoys this more than my pain. But I can try ... 
    We will pay the price but we will not count the cost
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hey Chris, thanks for you feedback.  Can't promise you much and we hear you. :)
    Becky Pezely, Windows Live Writer
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 10:32 PM
  • Glad to see these new forums! I had a 500 error when signing up but I'm onboard now.

Joe Cheng was a great help to me on the older forums and I hope to see him here and faces I haven't talked to yet like you, Becky!

In. Total. Agreement, Chris.

Let me make it clear: the Mac is MISSING AN AWESOME, MULTIMEDIA-RICH blogging tool. I've tried every single desktop blogging app on Mac, but... *cries*... nothing compares to WLW.

I know some folks who are so into WLW that they run it via Parallels or VMWare. I have a KVM switch setup to flip to my Windows box.

I harbor doubts that Windows Live Writer will ever come to Mac, in part because of "Windows" in the name... but if it DID (hypothetically speaking), there'd be much rejoicing.
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Just for the record, I use Vista and XP myself, but I train people to use LiveWriter all the time and this is one of the BIGGEST requests I hear.  I'm no programmer so I have no idea what is involved, but this would go a long long way towards introducing many people to WLW.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:32 AM
  • I saw this thread and after reading it I found myself needing to reply.

I agree with this, there needs to be a port of WLW for OS X. If it can be done for MS Office then it should be possible to do it for WLW as well. Okay, perhaps that's not the best example but what Chris,  Torely and Brett say is absolutely true and I'm actually a bit surprised that Apple hasn't already provided an equivalent local blogging program similar to WLW for OS X . Perhaps Apple considers blogging to be irrelevant? Now that would surprise me.

The funny thing about this is that I've always used the Windows OS (and MS DOS before that) and I actually feel very strongly about this. It would be grand sort of a "Hey, wake up!" slap up side the head of Apple if, all of a sudden, there were news of a port of Windows Live Writer for OS X due around **/**/** now wouldn't it?

Besides, you Mac folks deserve it.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 4:37 PM
  • I oversee the blogging for a magazine company, where everyone uses Macs. And we couldn't believe that there wasn't something from Apple that was did what WLW does. What I find even more amazing is that WLW, in its look and feel, is more Mac like than most Microsoft products. The picture cropping tool in the current beta is pretty close to perfect.
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:27 PM
  • Agreed.

There are a few MAC alternatives however NONE even compare (in my opinion) to WLW especially when you consider the $$ price. ;)

Here's a few alternatives I've found for the MAC:

http://www.drinkbrainjuice.com/blogo (Not free...)

http://illuminex.com/ecto/ (again... Not Free)

Honestly, there is no great alternative out there (yet) that I can find.....
    Friday, January 2, 2009 8:12 PM
  • After reading these threads - I am about to restart my macbook into vista. Hooray for MS winning out on more money just so I can blog easily (I port to three sites so web-paged based just sucks).
    Friday, August 28, 2009 11:15 AM
  • I am a Windows Vista user and I don't use macs, but let mac users use WLW!
    Friday, September 18, 2009 11:10 PM
  • I will pay $50 for WLW for Mac. Seriously. I agree with everyone that Mac blogging tools seem to be inadequate as of today. I already paid for one of them (ecto) and it simply doesn't work. I looked at many others, and they don't work either. I'd pay for whatever tool for Mac that works like WLW..
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 3:33 AM
  • I totally agree. I have a whole bunch of blogs I run via Blogger and Windows Live Writer is a totally awesome tool; I especially love the Polaroid-type picture tool with the corner borders, etc. Windows has to come out with a Mac-OSX-friendly version or else Apple needs to do a licensing agreement with Windows to produce a Mac version.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:31 PM
  • live writer on MAC. That would be lovely.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 8:54 PM
  • MarsEdit is, hands down, the best blogging software on the Mac at this time.

http://www.red-sweater.com/marsedit/

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:29 PM