Connector Install Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Installing Connector on XPPro machinces I get a 'version error' -   is there a version of the WHS Connector I should be using for XP Pro machines?   If so, does anyone have the link -
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 4:37 PM

Answers

• Installing Connector on XPPro machinces I get a 'version error' -   is there a version of the WHS Connector I should be using for XP Pro machines?   If so, does anyone have the link -

Are you using the supplied CD to install the connector? Are you installing from the software share and if so, what file are you clicking on? Or are you installing from http://<servername>:55000?

What is the exact message you are receiving?
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    • Marked as answer by jwb0721 Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:22 PM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:03 PM
  • the XP machine cannot access the server - while it does show up in the Network Group I cannot connect to the sever box.

Are you installing the connector software from the CD then? Can you please answer my questions above? Specifically:

>Are you using the supplied CD to install the connector?

>What is the exact message you are receiving?

Also, how are you attempting to access the server box? Have you setup an account on the serverbox that matches your client log in? Are you attempting to access it via \\<servername>\software or via http://<servername>:55000 or is the connector install giving you an error when it attempts to contact the server and if it is, please provide the exact error messages you are receiving.

Thank you
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Installing from the CD now.   Where is it in all the information on WHS that you need to install the Connector software?  It makes sense
    to do so, however it is VERY overlooked in the general online instructions.

I'm now having a connection issue not a software problem.   I'll work it out and let everyone know when I get it worked out.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:21 PM

All replies

Are you using the supplied CD to install the connector? Are you installing from the software share and if so, what file are you clicking on? Or are you installing from http://<servername>:55000?

What is the exact message you are receiving?
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:03 PM
  • the XP machine cannot access the server - while it does show up in the Network Group I cannot connect to the sever box.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:37 PM

Are you installing the connector software from the CD then? Can you please answer my questions above? Specifically:

>Are you using the supplied CD to install the connector?

>What is the exact message you are receiving?

Also, how are you attempting to access the server box? Have you setup an account on the serverbox that matches your client log in? Are you attempting to access it via \\<servername>\software or via http://<servername>:55000 or is the connector install giving you an error when it attempts to contact the server and if it is, please provide the exact error messages you are receiving.

Thank you
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Installing from the CD now.   Where is it in all the information on WHS that you need to install the Connector software?  It makes sense

I'm now having a connection issue not a software problem.   I'll work it out and let everyone know when I get it worked out.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Where is it in all the information on WHS that you need to install the Connector software?  It makes sense

Please check the getting started guide available in this list of documentation or in the product guide mentioned here.

Setup

You can get Windows Home Server up and running in three easy steps:

Step 1: Connect and power on.

Step 2: Complete Windows Home Server Setup.

Step 3:
    Install the Windows Home Server Connector software.

Thanks!

Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:55 PM