none
Available client restore options? RRS feed

• Question

• A forum search and a Google search netted me no useful anwers so here it goes...

This past weekend, I had to wipe my C drive (Win7-64 RTM) on one of my WHS client machines; I was changing the firmware of an SSD that required a destructive flash.

During the restore phase, using the "dual-boot" disk ISO I found mentioned somewhere on the .net, I connected to the server and picked my the backup I wished to restore.  I was forced to recreate my partition table by hand using the provided Vista Disk Manager.  Is this normal?  If I hadn't had a 2nd drive in the system (with Win7 RC), I wouldn't have known what kinds/sizes of partitions to create.  I'm a certified geek and know my way around partition tables for multiple OSes but it was an abrupt shock to have the normal WHS newbie handholding to disappear at a critical stage of system recovery.

Did I miss an important click during my restore experience that would have restored my partition tables automatically?

P.S. Once I got past the manual partition table recreation, the restore went pretty smoothly.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:34 PM

All replies

• You didn't miss anything; that's the way a WHS restore works. I presume that the designers figured that people would usually be restoring to the same disk, so that repartitioning would not be necessary, and that they'd get help if they needed to restore to a new disk.

I too found it odd that you need to partition and format before restoration - that's a strange concept to me. Most other imaging software that I've used can restore to blank, unformatted disks - they just restore raw sectors. But that's OK - it's an easy adjustment to make.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:44 PM
  • You didn't miss anything; that's the way a WHS restore works. I presume that the designers figured that people would usually be restoring to the same disk, so that repartitioning would not be necessary, and that they'd get help if they needed to restore to a new disk.

I too found it odd that you need to partition and format before restoration - that's a strange concept to me. Most other imaging software that I've used can restore to blank, unformatted disks - they just restore raw sectors. But that's OK - it's an easy adjustment to make.

I realize that many users don't create bunches of partitions like the olden days.  However, Win7 insists on creating the 100 MB boot partition.  I'd say this is an area for WHS improvement.  If I hadn't had another Win7 drive in the system, I (1) wouldn't have known to create 2 partitions for restore and (2) wouldn't have known that partition 1 needed to be 100 MB.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:56 PM