Do Not Run Operations on or around Patch Tuesday RRS feed

• General discussion

• Before going to bed last night I started the Drive Removal Wizard on WHS v1.  I proceeded to the point of

"The selected disk is now being removed by Windows Home Server.  This operation may take several hours.

Do not shut down Windows Home Server or disconnect the disk during this process.  Doing so may result in data loss."

As this was a 2 TB disk, I knew it would take a long time, so I went to bed.  This morning, it appeared WHS had rebooted.  I logged on to the WHS Console and found the Wizard had not completed and was no longer running.  The disk showed 6% full in the Disk Management Add-In.

I checked the event logs and found that Auto-Update had kicked in and installed some updates that required a reboot.  It appears this reboot happened while the Drive Removal Wizard was still running.  I am not certain if any data was lost during this process.  I am not worried as I had done a data backup immediately before running the Disk Removal Wizard.  However, this leads to the suggestion.  When the Drive Removal Wizard starts (or any other task that warns against rebooting until complete) disable Auto-Update or any other process that may cause automatic reboots.  As I stated above, my data is safe because of the back-up I ran immediately before the Removal Wizard, but it could have resulted in data loss.

I realize that WHS v1 is very late into the product support cycle, but there are still many of us using it because of various reasons instead of WHS 2011.

BullDawg

Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:39 AM

All replies

• It appears that one file was lost during the "unscheduled" automatic update reboot.  I ended up with one file conflict and deleted the file.  Did a restore (new or changed files only) and one new file was restored, the same one as the file conflict.  All appears well for now.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    :
    : "The selected disk is now being removed by Windows Home Server. This operation may take several hours.
    :
    : Do not shut down Windows Home Server or disconnect the disk during this process. Doing so may result in data loss."
    :
    : As this was a 2 TB disk, I knew it would take a long time, so I went to bed. This morning, it appeared WHS had rebooted. I logged on to the WHS Console and found the Wizard had not completed and was no longer running. The disk showed 6% full in the Disk Management Add-In.
    :
    : I checked the event logs and found that Auto-Update had kicked in and installed some updates that required a reboot. It appears this reboot happened while the Drive Removal Wizard was still running. I am not certain if any data was lost during this process. I am not worried as I had done a data backup immediately before running the Disk Removal Wizard. However, this leads to the suggestion. When the Drive Removal Wizard starts (or any other task that warns against rebooting until complete) disable Auto-Update or any other process that may cause automatic reboots. As I stated above, my data is safe because of the back-up I ran immediately before the Removal Wizard, but it could have resulted in data loss.
    :
    : I realize that WHS v1 is very late into the product support cycle, but there are still many of us using it because of various reasons instead of WHS 2011.
    :
    :
    : -- : BullDawg
    :

BullDawg
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:01 AM