Reinstall Option - IDE > SATA RRS feed

• Question

• Morning All,
    I have been over a period of time phasing out all my older PATA 300GB & 320GB drives to newer 750GB drives, yesterday I purchased the last 2 to complete my setup although this is where the fun has begun.

I removed the final 320GB drive and replaced that with one of the 750GB and of course added this to the pool which went through no problems as previously done many times before.

So I thought I would power off the system and reinstall knowing what I would have to do re users, shares etc having prepared earlier for this but to my horror there is no reinstall option available only new installation which isn't really an option.

I have tried a few different options suggested on the forum to no avail but this mainly was shuffling drives around and altering BIOS settings.

Any idea's or help would be great.

Thanks

Cheers
    Friday, July 11, 2008 11:56 PM

Answers

• This issue has been resolved.

It was to do with the boot order of the hard drives, changing the primary disk over with the SATA drive, the sata device being CH0 master had to be moved to the top of the list.

Hopefully this helps someone for the future.

Cheers

Saturday, July 12, 2008 9:38 AM

All replies

• This issue has been resolved.

It was to do with the boot order of the hard drives, changing the primary disk over with the SATA drive, the sata device being CH0 master had to be moved to the top of the list.

Hopefully this helps someone for the future.

Cheers

Saturday, July 12, 2008 9:38 AM
  •  bLaDeY - THANK YOU! I cannot tell you how much I freaked out when the "restore server" option did not show up! Thanks to your tip, I've now gotten through the reinstall process. It's been doing "recovering data" step for a while now. I am keeping fingers crossed, but I think it will take some time as I've got four 750GB drives in my WHS in addition to the 750GB boot disk...

By the way - my one recommendation for the rest of the folks looking to build their own WHS or upgrade their system hard-disks: Go with an enterprise grade hard disk as your boot disk! Not only the WHS is supposed to be always on, I believe pretty much all the data traffic is channeled through this primary disk (especially before Power Pack 1). The load on that hard disk is significant. I had a WD7500AKKS that died on me, my friend had a 1TB (Hitachi?) die on him. I actually fared better and got 8 months out of mine vs. my friend with 2 months! We might have simply been unlucky, but I will feel much safer now with the WD7500AYYS that's rated for 1.2 million hours... It's worth the extra $ if it will save me from going through the hassle of re-installing the server again.

Thanks again!
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 2:11 AM
  • Connected Home:

You should be careful: Western Digital doesn't recommend the use of any drive with TLER in a standalone configuration. Those drives are built for use in a RAID array, and may generate more errors, or cause data loss, if used standalone (as Windows Home Server does). To quote from the Western Digital white paper on TLER:

"...It is important to realize TLER-capable hard drive should not be used in non-RAID environments."

For more information on TLER, you should check out the entire white paper. The document isn't new, but it's still applicable.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 3:33 AM