Backup Strategy RRS feed

• Question

• For the sake of this question let's pretend I have a WHS box with 3 drives and all three drives have no user-data and folder duplication is enabled on all 3.

If I want a file on PC A backed up via WHS then when WHS finishes its backup I will have 3 copies of the file:

• one on PC A
    • two on WHS (because of folder duplication)

Correct/incorrect?

However, if I store a file in the WHS shared Music folder then I will have only 2 copies because of folder duplication.  Correct/incorrect?

Similarly, if I have a file on PC A and if I change it every day for 5 days then I will have 11 copies of the file:

• one on PC A
    • 10 on WHS (five previous versions doubled because of folder duplication)

Correct/incorrect?

Similarly, if I have a file in a WHS shared folder and I change it every day for 5 days then how many copies will I have?  In other words, does WHS keep previous versions for files stored on clients only or for both clients and server stored files?

I thank you in advance.

Friday, May 9, 2008 2:06 PM

Answers

•  m185945 wrote:

For the sake of this question let's pretend I have a WHS box with 3 drives and all three drives have no user-data and folder duplication is enabled on all 3.

If I want a file on PC A backed up via WHS then when WHS finishes its backup I will have 3 copies of the file:

• one on PC A

Correct/incorrect?

Incorrect. WHS backup database is not duplicated by default (Officially it's not even an option)

m185945 wrote:
    However, if I store a file in the WHS shared Music folder then I will have only 2 copies because of folder duplication.  Correct/incorrect?

Correct

m185945 wrote:
    Similarly, if I have a file on PC A and if I change it every day for 5 days then I will have 11 copies of the file:

• one on PC A

Correct/incorrect?

Incorrect for three reasons:

1. Backup database is not duplicated

2. The number of "copies" retained in the backup database depends on your backup strategy (how long WHS will keep dail, weekly and monthly backups)

3. The backup database contains one copy of the original file. (first time it's backed up). Subsequent backups only store changes in the file

m185945 wrote:
    Similarly, if I have a file in a WHS shared folder and I change it every day for 5 days then how many copies will I have?  In other words, does WHS keep previous versions for files stored on clients only or for both clients and server stored files?

WHS does keep previous versions, the number depends on the amount of free space left for shadow copies. Please note however that there are a number of issues with shadow copies on WHS (FAQ: Previous Versions for files on Windows Home Server Shared Fo... ) so you can not always rely on them.

Friday, May 9, 2008 3:01 PM
  • In addition to what brubber has told you, please consult the Drive Extender and Home Computer Backup technical briefs. You will probably find the answeres to questions you didn't even know you had. Smile
    Friday, May 9, 2008 5:12 PM

All replies

•  m185945 wrote:

For the sake of this question let's pretend I have a WHS box with 3 drives and all three drives have no user-data and folder duplication is enabled on all 3.

• one on PC A

Correct/incorrect?

Incorrect. WHS backup database is not duplicated by default (Officially it's not even an option)

m185945 wrote:

Correct

m185945 wrote:

• one on PC A

Correct/incorrect?

Incorrect for three reasons:

1. Backup database is not duplicated

2. The number of "copies" retained in the backup database depends on your backup strategy (how long WHS will keep dail, weekly and monthly backups)

3. The backup database contains one copy of the original file. (first time it's backed up). Subsequent backups only store changes in the file

m185945 wrote:

WHS does keep previous versions, the number depends on the amount of free space left for shadow copies. Please note however that there are a number of issues with shadow copies on WHS (FAQ: Previous Versions for files on Windows Home Server Shared Fo... ) so you can not always rely on them.

Friday, May 9, 2008 3:01 PM
  • In addition to what brubber has told you, please consult the Drive Extender and Home Computer Backup technical briefs. You will probably find the answeres to questions you didn't even know you had. Smile
    Friday, May 9, 2008 5:12 PM