none
What to do when users delete their post content? RRS feed

Answers

• Oh, it's bad, no argument there. Not sure how often this really happens. We thought a lot about this years ago when we released this, and there were various ways we thought about mitigation. I think we initially planned to not allow for an edits boy OP if someone had replied, I think that made the most sense at the time. I don't think we are going to get to something like this any time soon unless there is some critical mass of this re occurring.

If we had a way to message users we could ask them why they did it and ask them to put it back.

Community Forums Program Manager
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:32 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Oh, it's bad, no argument there. Not sure how often this really happens. We thought a lot about this years ago when we released this, and there were various ways we thought about mitigation. I think we initially planned to not allow for an edits boy OP if someone had replied, I think that made the most sense at the time. I don't think we are going to get to something like this any time soon unless there is some critical mass of this re occurring.

If we had a way to message users we could ask them why they did it and ask them to put it back.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:32 PM
    Answerer
  • Not sure how often this really happens.

Watched this behavior some days ago in the german MSDN Forums:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/visualcsharpde/thread/bcf3a7f7-ccdc-4e78-a5a1-439cec26a113
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/visualcsharpde/thread/b38589fc-b0cb-4eee-bc47-43207d26c638

Excuse by the user was to save forums space.

I think we initially planned to not allow for an edits boy OP if someone had replied

+1

Thorsten Dörfler
    Microsoft MVP Visual Basic
    vb-faq.de
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:48 PM
  • For automatic points deduction a simple rule can be implemented - if the initial post (before editing) is now less than 2% of the original content, then most likely it's a deleted post.

Also, there may be something in each forum's sticky thread (and may be some text when a new message is created) to warn users to not delete content after question is answered.

I see such pattern quite regularly.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:52 PM
  • That's awfully complicated to solve a problem that may not happen very often. Naomi, you probably see this regularly because you see so much (since you do so much in the forums).  I'll give this more thought, I'm more likely to not allow OP edits after a reply than complicate an edit/KB comparison chunk of code.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:52 PM
    Answerer
  • May be a new Abuse option introduced then (Deleted content) to bring attention to cases where it happens.

My blog
    Friday, July 22, 2011 3:02 AM
  • The problem with reporting it is that it is after the face, we don't version the text so once it's gone, it's gone forever. If we do something about it, probably disable edit on root is a way to go.
    Friday, July 22, 2011 3:21 AM
    Answerer
  • I'm not sure I like the idea of disabling. I often edit my answers after the fact, I prefer to keep this ability opened.

My blog
    Friday, July 22, 2011 3:24 AM
  • Not answers, root questions. I think that is the big thing to freeze so all the replies still make sense. I'm not proposing other posts, just roots.
    Friday, July 22, 2011 5:24 AM
    Answerer
  • This should probably work, but I'll give about 3-4 hours before it becomes frozen, not right after the first reply.

My blog
    Friday, July 22, 2011 2:03 PM
  • Yes, that would be ok I suppose. Thanks for your input Naomi.
    Friday, July 22, 2011 5:14 PM
    Answerer