The future of OneCare is free RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

This is remarkable - and completely unexpected: http://windowsonecare.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!C29701F38A601141!10418.entry

"In hopes of getting more consumers protected, this week, Microsoft announced that it will offer a new security solution to consumers at no cost beginning in the second half of calendar year 2009. . . . In order for us to focus on delivering this new security solution to millions of customers around the world, we have decided to phase out Windows Live OneCare and will discontinue retail sales of Windows Live OneCare subscription service beginning June 30, 2009."

This rewrites the landscape for security software. Big news.

Bruce Berls
    bruceb consulting

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:44 AM

All replies

•  

I think a more accurate description would be "the future of Microsoft consumer anti-malware is free". 

OneCare will no longer be offered as an application, and a new application will take it's place that has more focus on the anti-malwas component and less on the additional features that OneCare provided.

And it will be free Smile

I think this is a great step in the right direction to help secure the 60% of consumer PC's around the world that don't have any anti-malware protection of any kind.. which will surely help the overall Windows global ecosystem especially in developing countries where AV solutions are either too expensive or require too much system resources.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:43 PM
  • This is not as good as it first seems.  Firstly, you can bet that the new product has less features than Onecare. 
    Secondly it will not be a full solution but will be based on the malware protection tools.  I wonder how much of this has to do with Onecare failing AV tests by independant journalists?  On balance Onecare is probably the best value product they do.

What about all those folks who renew before August 2009, what level of support will be offered to them?  Will Microsoft just snatch a years worth of subscription and provide onlly 3/4 of the service they are contracted to provide? Will updates just cease or will they be dis-continued at a later date?  What about all the other features concerning firewalls and network connectivity, not to mention easy home network backup?    Will I lose all that stuff and have to shell out for another product that does the same but pay more and have a less slick integration? Worse, will I have to pay out for several more non virus related applications, eg,
    Firewall,
    Backup,
    Auto tuneup
    This is very poor conduct by MS

I think this is another example of Microsoft leaving fee paying customers out in the cold.

Time to switch to Linux.
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 11:17 PM
  • Marcus, the a/v solution that will be Morro will be at least as good as OneCare's since it will be based on the same engine and the singatures will be supplied by the same Antimalware team that supplies OneCare, Forefront, and Defender today.
    OneCare will be fully supported through the end of 2010.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, December 15, 2008 2:48 AM
  • Marcus,

As already mentioned, the real 'protection' (antimalware) within OneCare will be basically the same. Unfortunately the additional 'tools' provided within OneCare are likely to disappear, though some of those were actually nothing more than easy or automated access to utilities built-in to the operating system anyway.

Fortunately, the creation of OneCare forced a shake-up within the security industry which has resulted in the creation of much improved similar products by some of the competitors. This means your choices today are much better than before OneCare became available and generally for a cheaper price than in the past.

Though it would be nice to keep OneCare around, the focus at Microsoft must be the protection of all their customers, so concentrating on supplying an entry level complete antimalware for customers worldwide is really the appropriate direction for them to take. Letting the market provide the added features and abilities wanted by the few allows Microsoft to focus on the most important core protection needed by those with little money or computer resources available for that protection.

OneCareBear

Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, December 15, 2008 5:58 PM
  • What about on the Server / Client end?  Server 2008 comes with Onecare for Servers and there are site licenses... will all this be free?
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 7:10 PM
  • The Server/Client subscriptions will be fully supported through the life of the subscription and if they expire before renewals are disallowed, they can be renewed. Support for OneCare will end at the end of 2010, but renewals and new subscriptions will be disallowed some time between june and the end of 2009.
    The announcements only mention Morro in the context of the client side. My guess is that there will not be a free Server product, but all clients can use Morro when it is available. Any information about the Server version of OneCare is speculation on my part, since we only know that OneCare in all flavors will no longer be available. No specific announcements have been made, to the best of my knowledge, about Server.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 7:24 PM
  • ROCOAFZ said:

What about on the Server / Client end?  Server 2008 comes with Onecare for Servers and there are site licenses... will all this be free?

From one of the original Press Pass articles released on June 18th (at following link):

Improving Global Access to Core PC Protection
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2008/Nov08/11-18AmyBarzdukasQandA.mspx

PressPass: How will the decision to end Windows Live OneCare subscriptions affect other offerings, including Windows Live OneCare for Server?

Barzdukas: Microsoft will discontinue new sales of Windows Live OneCare for Server in June 2009. Windows Live OneCare for Server subscribers will continue to receive the same great protection, updates and support for the duration of their subscriptions.

OneCareBear

Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:56 AM
  • :(

That's kind of sad.  Most of the places we drop these SBS servers in have no techs and maybe about 10-15 pc's.  Windows Live one care has been the easiest ever to show them how to use and isn't a bear like crappy endpoint on it's 4th unstable maintenance release.

I'm afraid forefront will be too much for my clients to handle and the pricing maybe beyond what they want.
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:28 PM
  • ROCOAFZ said:

:(

That's kind of sad.  Most of the places we drop these SBS servers in have no techs and maybe about 10-15 pc's.  Windows Live one care has been the easiest ever to show them how to use and isn't a bear like crappy endpoint on it's 4th unstable maintenance release.

I'm afraid forefront will be too much for my clients to handle and the pricing maybe beyond what they want.

That's an excellent point and exactly what Microsoft needs to hear. I've heard exactly the same sentiments from some Security MVPs in a non-Microsoft list I'm a member of.

The problem with ForeFront is it's way too complex and costly for small installations such as your's. This was the niche that OneCare for Servers was intended to fill and now that it's been killed Microsoft really needs to rethink the strategy with ForeFront. There's no reason a simplified interface at both the management and client levels couldn't be created. It simply takes involving user oriented people in the design rather than engineers.

OneCareBear
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:55 PM
  • Hello Stephen,

I have a more urgent need for Networking Solutions, hopefully you can help.

As Kevin Hau "announced" early on, MicroSoft's Current Announcement that I must Delete Live One Care and Select from a List of other Security Software Provider's before my Live One Care Renewal Date on 4/22/2010 was to say the least unexplained and very distrubing.  Time and Continuity are more important to me whatever legal prerequisite MicroSoft may have to now comply with.

So I deleted LOC on all three of my office at home wireless network.  I then installed your "Essentials" as one of the Provider Options.

My Account should reflect those changes and downloads.

Ever since I satisfactorily installed, separately on each network computer, your "Essentials" I can no longer "network" amongst the 3 computers!!!!!!  nor executed any backup to my Network Buffalo Backup Hard Drive.

This is very interruptive and time consuming to say the least let alone destroying the very reasons for establishing an at home/office wireless network.

What are my options.  Can I reinstall Live One Care without violating any MicroSoft Legal Issues or is there a Networking Restablishment "fix/patch" that will reconstruct my Network.

I am assuming under these conditions that there will be no LOC renewal deductions on this accounts automatic bill/invoice authorization for EFT ePayments?

Please confirm and response as to my needs to re-establish my Network!!!

Thank you,

Ron Allen

ihcofamerica@mindspring.com

Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Hello, Ron.

Removal of OneCare and installation of Microsoft Security Essentials should not have had any effect on File and Printer Sharing in your network. MSE does not have a firewall, so the Windows Firewall is enabled upon removal of OneCare.

If you had File and Printer Sharing allowed in the OneCare firewall, you may need to enable it in the Windows Firewall.

Here are several articles for how to configure File and Printer Sharing in Windows (their focus is on sharing a printer, but the concept is the same. For printer sharing to work, file sharing also needs to be enabled/allowed. Since you had it working before, your Shared folders still exist and it is likely just blocked in the Windows firewall):

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx 

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/maintain/printers.mspx

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Share-a-printer

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:37 PM