none
Suggestion: Consideration of how to information for Gallery contributions in the recognition system RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Team,

inspired by a recent post at the Blend + SketchFlow forum, I would like to suggest to take into account, whether a gallery contributor provides further instructions to a contribution, e.g. through a link placed as a supporting url which points to an article at the contributors home page and/or blog.

I know that this would only make sense if those referenced articles etc. would be technically reviewed by MS, but I guess this would motivate a contributor to provide further instructions and to share a higher level of knowledge than in case of simply publishing a non supported contribution.

I guess this isn't yet taken into account, right?!

Regards,

Martin

Thursday, August 9, 2012 7:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• Would definitely be a nice idea.

As you say though, the review work involved is an issue...

#PEJL

Thursday, August 9, 2012 7:45 AM
  • What I think looks even better is images or embedded videos.

Points for these would be points well given, I think.

A good image always freshens up a wiki article or TechNet sample - http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/WPF-Simulating-Silverlights-7ca5b3be

Much more richer and engaging with an image or two...

#PEJL

Thursday, August 9, 2012 7:48 PM
  • I changed this to a discussion.

Basically turn it into a wiki? And then set up edit rewards for the wiki-like contributions?

Here's another perspective... Create a Wiki article about your gallery contribution and then drive community interaction on that Wiki article.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, August 9, 2012 11:51 PM
    Owner
  • "Create a wiki article about gallery contribution" <<< How and where to do that?

Friday, August 10, 2012 8:17 AM
  • I changed this to a discussion.

Basically turn it into a wiki? And then set up edit rewards for the wiki-like contributions?

Here's another perspective... Create a Wiki article about your gallery contribution and then drive community interaction on that Wiki article.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Just so you know, I'm currently going through the process of creating a proper wiki article that will link to a sample

I tried linking to samples as you mentioned before to me, so I have been posting "copies" of the text I put into samples over to the wiki and linking back as you suggest. But to be fair, when you have to write 1000 characters min to post a sample, there's not much more to add, so it was just cut and paste, and seemed somewhat pointless. i'm happy to continue to do that though, if you think it has value? Could the samples minimum be 500?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/12346.wpfhowto-a-collection-of-helpful-short-articles.aspx

Meanwhile, I will post back after the weekend, with more considered conclusions ;)

Reegards,
    Pete

#PEJL

Friday, August 10, 2012 10:45 PM
  • "Create a wiki article about gallery contribution" <<< How and where to do that?

Go here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/

Info about how to post:

This blog I wrote explains it in detail: http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/archive/2011/12/07/gallery-technet-wiki-community-synergy.aspx

Thanks!

Friday, August 10, 2012 10:53 PM
    Owner
  • OK I have had a go at doing things from wiki to Samples.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/12927.how-to-build-manage-and-navigate-the-user-interface-of-a-wpf-application.aspx

Prepare for notes dump...

----8<----

An issue with the wiki->TechNet approach, is that the sample is a fixed contribution.
    I write the supporting Sample text to support the attached project.

If I write a matching TechNet wiki, I don't want anyone rewriting the article too much, when it is in direct conjunction with an MSDN Sample. Nor do I want to have to police all these articles still match the samples through a lifetime stream of email change alerts.

How about allowing articles to be locked, but provide an addendum/extra information section below, for future contributers to add to, rather than change?

I totally agree with the philosophy of community polished content. Someone added the [toc] which i'd forgotton to do, thanks to them. But regarding the specific example of linking TNWiki to Samples, I feel there has to be some protection where the OP doesn't have to police it for the rest of their lives.

How about a "Click here to see the last author-confirmed revision of this article that matches the associated Sample" notice at the top for future changes after an "Author synchronised version" checkbox has been ticked? The author can then keep agreeing latest version is synced.

Another point about cross-working is i end up with not much to say or not wanting to repeat myself in the Samples' description page. As you can see it's lost a lot of usefulness. I still feel the Minimum Samples text is twice as long as is comfortable.

Regarding the reward system in general...

I used to love resource management games, and the regognition sytstem is a similar great way to keep rewarding and encouraging. I just feel the Wiki isn't rewarding me as early and frequently as Samples and Forum do.

The stream of Profile updates often means TNWiki or Samples rewards get lost in the forum activity messages. Could it be separated, filtered, colour coded, smaller font, longer list per page?

BTW I thought we used to get points for code inclusion on the forums? If so, why was that stopped? Surely that's another enriching thing that saves clicking away from MSDN.

The rest is general observations of TNWiki and MSDN Samples input.
    Slightly off-topic, but such is life.

Another thing I've noticed is the editor often does not match the finished product, especially in line breaks. Even when you go back in and add what shows as a line break in the editor gets lost in browser html translation. Sometimes I add a line, save, come back in and the line is gone. I have to add two line breaks, then both register. So for a long article, even the Wiki's own advice pages say to use a third party tool, in my case Expression Web 4.

Then of course you are offline anyway, and unlikely to publish till it is completed.

The editor, and leaning the best formatting style for the wiki can be quite a learning curve, which improves only with experience. I don;t want to have to read tutorials on how to use an editor, it should just work and produce exactly the same result as I see in the editor.

The MSDN Samples editor is similarly cranky. They should surely be an identical control?

Uploading animated gifs failed on TNWiki, but worked fine on Samples, so for the wiki, I've had to link to the image in Samples. Does that image path ever change, btw? Uploading a small WMV file failed on both. I generate WMV out of Expression Encoder (from screen capture). That should at least have worked flawlessly, it's all Microsoft technology..

Keep forgetting to comment, could the comment box and the submit/cancel buttons be separated from the form? Tags and email are after it, which makes human brain jump straight down, assuming "comment" is also part that doesn't need updating every time.

I like to save a lot when working. This means a stream of useless comments and long revision history, is this how you want it? I guess it's not a bad thing...?

BTW regarding ctrl key, my WP7 doesn't have a ctrl key :( 
    Can the editor have a "special key predicate" kind of feature, for virtual keyboard users?

I found myself linking outside of TNWiki - made me realise how many more articles I have to stub/write. Regarding that, if I find a topic that isn't in Wiki, but don;t have time to start one, is it right to start a stub, then dump the "other" wiki link into that stub?

#PEJL

Monday, August 13, 2012 7:17 PM
  • - Cannot lock Wiki articles.

- Let me know when the "somebody erased my content" problem happens. It's only happened a few times across 100K+ edits, and most of those times it was someone thinking they were adding a new article. A few times someone has replaced content with spam. So it's 0.000003% (less now), and when it has happened, another community member reverted before the original author even knew the problem existed.

- Microsoft has official docs on the Wiki, and it's actually been great. Addititional comments, questions, and people help fix/update links, format issues, and typos.

- For some of those docs, we add a link at top to go to the "before community edits" version. Pretty easy to do.

- True Wiki only awards views. Views on edits or original author. Ideas for other rewards?

- On profiles, you can filter per Wiki/Gallery.

More later.

Monday, August 13, 2012 8:01 PM
    Owner
  • Silly me, I forgot about the filter dropdown :]

Adding link to version, yes I see now, but not an easy built-in feature.

First thoughts would be more around "awareness of progress"

How about some kind of progress bar or thermometer? Or a pageview graph (without any numbers)

I'm guessing how showing actual count would cause problems, but some indication that things are going well would be nice.

Or how about allowing us to get more frequent notices or emails. Not for points, for glory. Every 50 or 100 page hits.

By every 50:

"50 page hits, good start (next target 500)"

"250 page hits, half way there! (next target 500)"

"450 page hits! almost there! (next target 500)"

By every 100:

"100 page hits, good start (next target 500)"

"300 page hits, over half way there! (next target 500)"

"400 page hits! Almost there! (next target 500)"

Not by default, obviously (spam-tastic) but "switch on'able" and a notice in profile "Select more frequent reports" dropdown.

At least on Samples you can see download count.

#PEJL

Monday, August 13, 2012 10:58 PM
  • Hello Ed,

that was helpful. I will read all that stuff about how to contribute etc. later, but at first glance it looks like that technet wiki seems to be the right place to place article etc. related to Expression Gallery contributions.

So, anybody how joins technet wiki will be able to write articles, right? If so, I would like to mark your post as answer to my question because the combination of Gallery contribution and TechNet wiki would be what I suggested.

Regards,

Martin

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:47 AM
  • Hello Ed,

that was helpful. I will read all that stuff about how to contribute etc. later, but at first glance it looks like that technet wiki seems to be the right place to place article etc. related to Expression Gallery contributions.

So, anybody how joins technet wiki will be able to write articles, right? If so, I would like to mark your post as answer to my question because the combination of Gallery contribution and TechNet wiki would be what I suggested.

Regards,

Martin

Okay. I changed it back to a question. Thanks!

Yes, you can create any articles you want, as long as they are related to Microsoft products and technologies. So obviously an article about something in the gallery qualifies.

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:45 PM
    Owner
  • Hello Ed,

thanks again. The wiki thing was a really great hint. I didn't knew that before.

So, I havn't much time these days but the next article I write for a contribution is going to be published on technet wiki.

Regards,
    Martin

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:32 AM
  • Hello Ed,

thanks again. The wiki thing was a really great hint. I didn't knew that before.

So, I havn't much time these days but the next article I write for a contribution is going to be published on technet wiki.

Regards,
    Martin

That's great! Let me know how it goes!

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:39 PM
    Owner