Opportunity multiple contacts RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

There is a serious known issue with  opportiunity:

1. How do I display both the firm and the contact (main contact) that produced the opportunity (without typing)?

CRM enables only one parent  to a system entity.

First of all, "potential client" should be only the account and not a contact. On the current design of CRM4

if the user opens an opportunity from within a contact, the "potential client" will be the contact.

Can I use (don't have much choise) this parent relationship so the "potentical client" will be bound to enable only

firms and persons?

This mechanism of displaying the related entity should work both ways  and not like mapping which is from

the parent to child. The user sometimes opens an  opportunity from the account, or the contact and sometimes

from the opportunity itself. The information should be maintained in all (relevant) these 3 entities.

2. The second problem is inserting and displaying multiple contacts on the opportunity.

If I create under the opportunity OppContacts Many to One opportunity- the user has to retype contacts

that are already exist in the system under account. This is not good solution.

The current design of a contact with multiple opportinities is not the natural business direction of flow:

We want to know which contacts are related to a given opportunity and not the other way around.

I cannot technically make M:M because these are two system entities.

The user should be able to dive from the opportunity  to the contacts and then either put true in a checkbox of the

contacts he wants (having them displayed in a grid) or "add existing" contact to that opportunity.

Thanks a lot!

Monday, July 14, 2008 2:50 PM

Answers

• 1) I would handle this by associating the opportunity to the account (firm) and using the relationship feature to associate the contact and specify their role. To get the opportunity linked to the firm, you'll have to open it from the firm. You might be able to code your way around this (maybe even workflow) but this is the default behaviour.

2) The relationships allows this kind of information to be encoded in the system

Leon Tribe
    Monday, July 14, 2008 11:20 PM

All replies

• 1) I would handle this by associating the opportunity to the account (firm) and using the relationship feature to associate the contact and specify their role. To get the opportunity linked to the firm, you'll have to open it from the firm. You might be able to code your way around this (maybe even workflow) but this is the default behaviour.

2) The relationships allows this kind of information to be encoded in the system

Leon Tribe
    Monday, July 14, 2008 11:20 PM
  • The "opportunity relationship" cannot be customized: there is no "New" for creating attributes, no "main form"

and the "More actions->Edit" brings the implementer to a screen where everything is dimmed and disable.

If I wan't to turn this "opportunity relationship" to represent contact persons of opportunity I have to make changes

to this (and then iFrame it to the opportunity screen) but the customization is disabled.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 7:53 AM