none
SATA drive shows up as ATA??? RRS feed

• Question

• Just got a WHS up and running with an ECS 945GCT-m/1333 MB, 1.8 Celly, 1gb ram. I started with a 500gb SATA drive and got WHS installed. BUT, should WHS detect that it's a SATA drive? It's reading as a ATA drive and other screen shots I have see SATA and ATA displayed. I thought it was because it's a cheap MB but my Asus also detects it a ATA drive.

Thanks

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:28 AM

All replies

• It's normal behaviour, the drive interface is still basically ATA but the transfer method is Serial. The well known IDE hard drives are also ATA but their method is Parallel. You'll often see these referred to as PATA drives.

If you put SATA drives on a Expansion card like a SIL3114 sata card, the drives will show as SCSI.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:14 AM
  • Cool, Thanks Tom. I was thinking since it's a cheap MB it didn't use a true SATA controller. I picked up the MB, CPU, and 1gb memory for $85 at Fry's to upgrade my PII server. Problem is my transfer speeds were really really slow. So I reinstalled with a SATA 500gb drive and I'll be testing later today. Originaly I installed on an old 300gb PATA drive.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 1:34 PM