Find and Erase Excel randomly named temporary files RRS feed

• Question

• I have a file server for all my users, but by any reason some Excel randomly named temporary files are not deleted after the user saves the file and end his work.

This of course have increase the size and number of files to backup.

I don't want to go to each folder to verify that there is no temporary file in it, is there a way to search for all those files in one action? I have try it with the search from windows server 2003, but I don't get no files with an *. and is not listed in the type files to look for the FILE type.

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks

Victor
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:44 PM

Answers

• Hello ,

Thank you for your post!  Unfortunately there is not a current forum to post the question you are asking so I would recommend that you post you question to one of the 'microsoft.public.excel' located here:  http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.excel&cat=en_us_a09d72a4-715e-4c37-bcd5-75e0fc616b1f&lang=en&cr=us 

Hope that helps!

SachinW Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    • Proposed as answer by SachinW Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by SachinW Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:06 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:52 AM

All replies

• why you include the temp folder in your backup plan?

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 4:56 PM
  • Hi Sheng Jiang,

I am not including the temp folder, the temp files are created in the same folder where the file is stored.

All users have a virual map drive that points to the file server, so every time they need to work with a file they work directly in the server, and there is where the temporary files from excel are created, not in the temp folder of the C drive.

So I am looking a way to search all these files and deleted them from my server.

I have around 200 Users and not to mention the number of folders of each one, so its kind of ridiculous to look folder by folder.

Thanks

Victor

Monday, August 24, 2009 2:08 PM
  • Not sure what is the pattern of the temp files. Try the Office discussion groups to see if you can change the location of the files to somewhere else.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, August 24, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Hello ,

Thank you for your post!  Unfortunately there is not a current forum to post the question you are asking so I would recommend that you post you question to one of the 'microsoft.public.excel' located here:  http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.excel&cat=en_us_a09d72a4-715e-4c37-bcd5-75e0fc616b1f&lang=en&cr=us 

Hope that helps!

SachinW Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    • Proposed as answer by SachinW Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by SachinW Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:06 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:52 AM