Control Panel Reports 'Windows Defender' and 'Windows Firewall' Turned Off RRS feed

• Question

•  

My installation of Windows Live OneCare shows green --

- Virus and spyware monitoring ON

- Firewall ON

- Phishing filter ON

- etc.

If I go into the Control Panel and click the icons for either 'Windows Defender' and 'Windows Firewall', they both report that they're turned off.

Questions are:

1.  Am I really protected?  Is Live OneCare reporting right, or is the Control Panel right?

2.  Since both products are made by Microsoft, can't Live OneCare remove/disable the Windows Defender and Windows Firewall upon installation to prevent this discrepancy in status reporting?

Saturday, April 19, 2008 12:02 PM

Answers

• One Care disables Defender and the Windows firewall because it has antispyware protection and an advanced firewall. This post clarifies the Defender/One Care relationship - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1105575&SiteID=2

So, yes you are protected. Both One Care and Control Panel are right. One Care reports a good status because the One Care antimalware component and firewall are functioning properly. The Control Panel also correctly reports that Defender and the Windows firewall are turned off. There isn't really a discrepancy in the seemingly conflicting reports since they are reporting different processes.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 2:48 PM