Windows Validation Error and Registry Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased my Dell system form Dell more than a year ago, and this morning I got this:

The Windows validation process could not be completed because the product key was not detected.

The product key is a unique identifier assigned by Microsoft only to genuine Windows software. The validation process must be able to find and evaluate the product key in order to determine whether this copy of Windows is genuine. If this key is missing, it may indicate the presence of counterfeit software and your system may be at risk.

[0x80080204]

Is this to say that Dell stole the XP Windows version?  I recently have been having an enormous amount of problems with this system i.e. Registry Errors, Broken Links, Start up issues etc.  I mean what is the deal with Windows these days?  Every 6 to 8 hours I am doing something because my system is frozen or it gets an error and has to shut the program down.  Is there a software program out there that can help maintain my system?  I have used the System Mechanic, Dell Network Assistant, and PC Pitstop software, and none of them have really helped much!

Monday, November 5, 2007 11:45 AM

Answers

• Hello Chey,

Thank you for providing me with your MS Diagnostic results. First Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage has a blocked volume licensing key (VLK).  As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer. 

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the VLK status. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  who have become victims. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs as illustrated here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit

Sounds like your system may be corrupted. Chey I am thinking it would be a good move to use the Dell Recovery software and completely reformat your system. As I mentioned above Office XP Professional is non-genuine. This could present problems because it isn't genuine. These have been shown to be full of root kits, malware, viruses and who knows what else---you'd be worse off than you are now. Please review the following Microsoft Websites Security Central and Security at Home: 

http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.mspx 

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/default.mspx

Next what type of internet connection do you currently have @ your home? If you have DSL and/or Cable modem I would research purchasing a Router/Switch/Firewall hardware device. This device connects between your cable modem and computer. This should provide you greater security coupled with Windows Defender, AntiVirus Program and anti-malware detection software. Also please review documents @ Dell's Webpage. 

Another alternative may be to visit Dell Community Forums @ http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/. Maybe you can search for security issues.  Hopefully this has helped you with the problems your experiencing.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hello Chey,

Please run the MGA diagnostic test and post your results back in this thread. The diag results will help us analyze your particualr situation so we may provide you with a solution. Please follow the steps below.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Monday, November 5, 2007 7:13 PM
  • Ok here's the report:-

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0062.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key:

Windows Product Key Hash: tJB30tZY737ZFJYewUg2SpzsCb0=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00825
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {86FD8D86-0C87-463D-AB95-037DB3221AC5}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

This is the results of the diagnostics that I ran.  It is for the Windows XP Media Center Edition, and from what I can see it does read the OEM Product ID. 

Right now there is something saying, "Unable to complete Genuine Windows Validation".

Monday, November 5, 2007 10:47 PM
  • Chey,

Please provide the whole diagnostic without removing anyting.  Thank you,

stephen holm, ms

Monday, November 5, 2007 11:46 PM
  • Okay here it is:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0062.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-RVF66-GP7VM-8CFT3
    Windows Product Key Hash: tJB30tZY737ZFJYewUg2SpzsCb0=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00825
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {86FD8D86-0C87-463D-AB95-037DB3221AC5}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista BRT Data-->
    Grace Flag: N/A
    Commit: N/A
    Reboot Flag: N/A
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Wgaer.exe Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Wgaer.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-152-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_77F760FE-152-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{86FD8D86-0C87-463D-AB95-037DB3221AC5}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0062.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-8CFT3</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00825</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1417646209-476763566-3465016453</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Model>Dell DV051                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Version>A03</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20051008000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>572230470184166D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Dell Dimension DV051</name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 3:29 AM
  • Hello Chey,

Thank you for providing me with your MS Diagnostic results. First Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage has a blocked volume licensing key (VLK).  As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer. 

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the VLK status. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  who have become victims. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs as illustrated here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit

Sounds like your system may be corrupted. Chey I am thinking it would be a good move to use the Dell Recovery software and completely reformat your system. As I mentioned above Office XP Professional is non-genuine. This could present problems because it isn't genuine. These have been shown to be full of root kits, malware, viruses and who knows what else---you'd be worse off than you are now. Please review the following Microsoft Websites Security Central and Security at Home: 

http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.mspx 

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/default.mspx

Next what type of internet connection do you currently have @ your home? If you have DSL and/or Cable modem I would research purchasing a Router/Switch/Firewall hardware device. This device connects between your cable modem and computer. This should provide you greater security coupled with Windows Defender, AntiVirus Program and anti-malware detection software. Also please review documents @ Dell's Webpage. 

Another alternative may be to visit Dell Community Forums @ http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/. Maybe you can search for security issues.  Hopefully this has helped you with the problems your experiencing.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 7:46 PM