WHS Software Installation on three-drive system RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings, and thank you in advance for your time in answering this question.  I had a test WHS machine which was built on cheap materials with two small hard drives.  I have now purchased a better-quality list of components including 3 hard drives.  One of the drives is 750 GB, and I will install that as drive 0.  The other two drives are 500 GB and they will be drives 2 and 3.  I'm sorry if this question seems to be obvious, but I've read through every forum thread mentioning drives and I've not yet found anything specific about how WHS chooses the 'C:' or "system" drive.

The Question:
    Will WHS installation automatically use the 750 GB drive 0 as the "system" drive?

Thank you!
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:14 PM

Answers

• MWPOS said:

The Question:
    Will WHS installation automatically use the 750 GB drive 0 as the "system" drive?

That is correct. It will create a 20 GB partition on that drive for System C: drive (Sys) and the remaining will be used as the D: drive (Data).

• Marked as answer by MWPOS Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:46 PM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:45 PM

All replies

• MWPOS said:

The Question:

That is correct. It will create a 20 GB partition on that drive for System C: drive (Sys) and the remaining will be used as the D: drive (Data).

• Marked as answer by MWPOS Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:46 PM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:45 PM
  • Thank You!
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:46 PM
  • Windows Home Server will choose the first drive presented by the BIOS as bootable, as long as that drive is large enough and WHS can "see" the drive during setup. What that drive will be is determined by whether there are drivers available for setup to use. There is a limited set of drivers on the installation media, but you can supply Windows Server 2003 drivers for your storage controllers during setup if needed.

So if there are drivers available for your drive 0, it should be seen/used as the system drive. If not, and there are drivers available for the other drives, then one of those will be used as the system drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:51 PM