My genuine copy of windows failed validation RRS feed

• Question

• Below is my diagnostic report, which says I failed. However, I would like to bet a hell of a lot of money that my copy is genuine. In fact I already did bet that money, when I paid for my copy of windows.

The second set of questions from the FAQ above are answered here:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

Professional
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

It says OEM Product, in black lettering
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

No it doesn't, since I purchased the item myself from a retailer, when I bought the components that made up my PC.
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

ok
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing

It failed validation, and has done several times. I can't install updates, which is very annoying, and am considering using a hack to get round them. I am angry that I should have to do so much extra work, when I already paid best part of £100 for this software!

I have a shiny and holographic COA sticker, and a shiny and holographic CD.

How do I get this validated?

Regards,
    Chris

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GD8QR-TJXWG-697C3
    Windows Product Key Hash: 6+I9qJyVe9fwHsUZ7VBrkbsZOwg=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-9514772-23978
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {AB7DBB8F-0B26-44D9-82E6-97B8B8EC3AB0}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{AB7DBB8F-0B26-44D9-82E6-97B8B8EC3AB0}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-697C3</PKey><PID>55274-640-9514772-23978</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1547161642-838170752-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>P4V88</Manufacturer><Model>P4V88</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>P1.60</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20041028000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>F202326F01842263</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Saturday, May 31, 2008 8:22 PM

Answers

• ChrisML123,

Do you have questions about your Windows Genuine Advantage Kit you previously ordered (including what the product key is) please refer to the contact information below:

Monday through Friday, between 8AM and 10PM ET, at (866-530-6599), toll free in the United States and Canada. 

You should have received an e-mail from service@microsoft.com and it will contain their 5x5 product key along with instructions for running the conversion tool. Please print a copy of this product key for your record. You may be asked for your product key in the future if you request Windows product support. The next step of the update process will also ask you for your product key.  (The receipt comes along with the package and also in the email.)

To download and run the Windows Product Key Update Tool, please visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=45668. This tool will lead you through several steps to convert your current Windows XP software to a genuine and activated copy of Windows XP.  All active items in your order for Microsoft Products have been shipped.

Note:  It is imperative that you check your junk mail filter to ensure it has not been placed in that folder. If you have junk mail set to automatically move and delete messages you should request further information from the contacts listed above. They will be able to send you another email. You may also list *.microsoft.com in your trusted domains for email and receive future Microsoft email directly into your Inbox. They will be able to send you another email.

Lori MS

Monday, June 2, 2008 9:39 PM

All replies

• According to your MGA report, you have a counterfeit, volume license copy of Windows XP Professional installed using an illegal product key generator:

>Windows License Type: Volume

>Validation Status: Invalid Product Key

This is definitely not an OEM license.  I would suggest contacting the seller of this counterfeit copy of Windows XP and demand a 100% refund!

Saturday, May 31, 2008 10:18 PM
  • I bought it 3 years ago, and I have no idea who from anymore - how can I contact them. The product came in a box, with manuals. I believe that piracy is happening, but are they really bothering to print fake instruction manuals too, to go with the very realistic looking CD, and holographic COA.

No i don't buy that - there is no way that the MGA report can be wrong?

What am I meant to do. Either I have been the victim of a very impressive gang of counterfeiters, going all the way to producing celophane wrapped xp boxes, complete with packaging, manuals, and expensive multi layered holo printing, or microsoft have made a mistake. Either way, what do i do?

C
    Sunday, June 1, 2008 12:58 AM
  • In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Sunday, June 1, 2008 2:26 AM
  • will they give me one without a receipt?
    Sunday, June 1, 2008 8:42 AM
  • ChrisML123,

Do you have questions about your Windows Genuine Advantage Kit you previously ordered (including what the product key is) please refer to the contact information below:

Monday through Friday, between 8AM and 10PM ET, at (866-530-6599), toll free in the United States and Canada. 

You should have received an e-mail from service@microsoft.com and it will contain their 5x5 product key along with instructions for running the conversion tool. Please print a copy of this product key for your record. You may be asked for your product key in the future if you request Windows product support. The next step of the update process will also ask you for your product key.  (The receipt comes along with the package and also in the email.)

To download and run the Windows Product Key Update Tool, please visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=45668. This tool will lead you through several steps to convert your current Windows XP software to a genuine and activated copy of Windows XP.  All active items in your order for Microsoft Products have been shipped.

Note:  It is imperative that you check your junk mail filter to ensure it has not been placed in that folder. If you have junk mail set to automatically move and delete messages you should request further information from the contacts listed above. They will be able to send you another email. You may also list *.microsoft.com in your trusted domains for email and receive future Microsoft email directly into your Inbox. They will be able to send you another email.

Lori MS

Monday, June 2, 2008 9:39 PM