none
SQL 2008 Upgrade Exams Retiring Early - Why? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings!

I am confused as to why Microsoft is retiring the UPGRADE exams for the three SQL Server 2008 MCITP titles (70-453, 70-454, and 70-455) on July 31st, 2012.

Why do this?

- None of the six individual exams for the same three SQL Server 2008 MCITP certification titles (one MCTS exam and one MCITP exam each) expire until at least 2013!

Here's the current schedule:

MCITP: DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR 2008
           70-432, NOT retiring
           70-450, Retiring July 31st, 2013
           70-453, Retiring July 31st, 2012 ***UPGRADE EXAM

MCITP: DATABASE DEVELOPER 2008
           70-433, Retiring July 31st, 2013
           70-451, Retiring July 31st, 2013
           70-454, Retiring July 31st, 2012 ***UPGRADE EXAM

MCITP: BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE DEVELOPER 2008
           70-448, NOT retiring
           70-452, Retiring July 31st, 2013
           70-455, Retiring July 31st, 2012 ***UPGRADE EXAM

Shouldn't Microsoft postpone retirement of the UPGRADE exams until 2013 like the other SQL Server 2008 exams?

NOTE: Microsoft IS retiring the MCPD:Enterprise UPGRADE exams on July 31st, 2013 (not 2012). Why not for SQL Server 2008 as well?

Thank you for your consideration.

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:41 AM
    Answerer

Answers

All replies

• I dont see a problem here with upgrade exams. Mainstream support for SQL Server 2005 is already over .. so if there were MCITPs certified for SQL 2005 thery already had 4 years to upgrade their MCITP to 2008. Now when 2012 MCSA/MCSE are available, transition from 2008 to 2012 should be the primary focus.

Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:05 AM
  • Hi, Marek.

Thank you for your response. Let me rephrase the question for you.

Any professional can still earn any of the three SQL Server 2008 MCITP certification titles if they pass the required MCTS and MCITP exams. They have until July, 2013. As shown above, two SQL 2008 MCTS exams are not even being slated for retirement at all.

***QUESTION: Why retire just the UPGRADE exams this month? Why can't they be pushed back to July, 2013 like all the other SQL Server 2008 exams? Did you know that Microsoft is letting VS2005/.NET 2.0 developers take VS2008/.NET 3.5 UPGRADE exams until July, 2013? Why not for SQL 2005 professionals? The .NET 3.5 UPGRADE exams came out well before the SQL 2008 UPGRADE exams.

The only real motivation to retire the SQL 2008 MCITP UPGRADE exams early is to sell two exams instead of one for the SQL 2008 MCITP certifications. I can still earn the title until July, 2013 but now must take two exams instead of one.

I guess what I would really like from the Microsoft Certification team for retiring SQL 2008 exams is CONSISTENCY. Why are two of the SQL 2008 exams not even slated for retirement while three other SQL 2008 exams retire this month?

***At the risk of falling on deaf ears, I suggest to the Microsoft Certification team that the UPGRADE exams be changed to retire in July, 2013 as well.

I hope all the "generals" that monitor this forum aren't going to just come back with "Because Microsoft said so!" answers. It is okay to disagree and suggest changes to a policy.

Finally, yes - I admit that I am a SQL 2005 MCITP:BI who needs to upgrade. I let my certification get old - my fault. If the rules aren't changed, I will take 70-448 and 70-452 to earn my SQL 2008 MCITP:BI. Then I will upgrade to SQL 2012. Apparently, 70-448 isn't retiring any time soon so I better take 70-452 first. Again - those exam retirements don't make any sense either.

If you AGREE or DISAGREE, please respond.

Thank you!

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:13 PM
    Answerer
  • I understand your question .. I dont agree with a lot what was done in certifications like MCSA/MCSE .. but I agree with exam retirement. I would refrase your question, why the exams are retiring now, why are not they retired already .. same for .NET 2.0 upgrades. 

Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:18 PM
  • I've raised your concerns with Microsoft so hopefully we’ll get a reply shortly.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:23 AM
  • Thank you, Mr. Wharty!

Very much obliged.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Apparently, Microsoft's solution is to make the expiration date bright red and say the problem is fixed.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-453&locale=en-us

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-454&locale=en-us

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-455&locale=en-us

So be it.

I'm taking the upgrade exam on Tuesday. If I fail, I could take it again on the following Saturday, or accept the fact that I have a year to take the MCTS and MCITP exams.

Thanks, all.

~Davin Mickelson

Friday, July 20, 2012 3:51 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi, Jeff,

now that the date has passed, is there a way to do the upgrade? Unfortunately, I just found about the expiration today and I'd still like to upgrade my certification :(

Thanks

Andre

Monday, August 6, 2012 9:51 PM
  • No you won't be able to do an upgrade.  You'll need to take all of the exams for your chosen stream (Database Administrator, Database Developer or Business Intelligence)

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Monday, August 6, 2012 10:20 PM
  • Just pass the two required exams and you'll be an MCITP for SQL 2008.

MCITP: DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR 2008
            70-432, NOT retiring
            70-450, Retiring July 31st, 2013

MCITP: DATABASE DEVELOPER 2008
            70-433, Retiring July 31st, 2013
            70-451, Retiring July 31st, 2013

MCITP: BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE DEVELOPER 2008
            70-448, NOT retiring
            70-452, Retiring July 31st, 2013

The now retired upgrade exam merely pulled questions from these two exams' pools.

It's obvious that Microsoft is more interested in selling exams rather than let us upgrade accordingly.

Good luck to all test takers!

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:09 AM
    Answerer
  • It's obvious that Microsoft is more interested in selling exams rather than let us upgrade accordingly.

Not really.

I have asked MS to provide an explanation as to why upgrade exams are retiring before individual exams as this issue was also raised with respect to .Net certifications.

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:16 AM
  • Thanks, David and Jeff.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:36 AM
  • Your concerns have been raised here as well http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/b/weblog/archive/2012/08/01/upcoming-exam-retirements-and-availability-of-related-certifications.aspx

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:46 AM
  • Did you know that Microsoft is letting VS2005/.NET 2.0 developers take VS2008/.NET 3.5 UPGRADE exams until July, 2013?
    Upgrade exams for MCPD have also retired on 31st of July 2012. But one still can take separate exams till 31st of July 2013. It is same situation as you described for MCTIP. Actually I am also wondering why.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 10:15 AM
  • Did you know that Microsoft is letting VS2005/.NET 2.0 developers take VS2008/.NET 3.5 UPGRADE exams until July, 2013?
    Upgrade exams for MCPD have also retired on 31st of July 2012. But one still can take separate exams till 31st of July 2013. It is same situatuin as you described for MCTIP. Actually I am also wondering why.
    I missed that in Davin's reply above otherwise I would have corrected him.  Thanks for clarifying this.

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:00 AM
  • I would love to see an answer since I am very shocked to see 70-453 retired - I planned to take it in H2 2012 as it was originally planned for retirement together with remaining 2008 exams.
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:43 PM
  • Whoops!

Thank you for the clarification, gentlemen!

Thursday, August 9, 2012 1:46 AM
    Answerer
  • Your concerns have been raised here as well http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/b/weblog/archive/2012/08/01/upcoming-exam-retirements-and-availability-of-related-certifications.aspx

Jeff Wharton

I'm still chasing this up

Jeff Wharton

Monday, August 13, 2012 6:01 AM
  • Hi, Jeff,

now that the date has passed, is there a way to do the upgrade? Unfortunately, I just found about the expiration today and I'd still like to upgrade my certification :(

Thanks

Andre

I'm shocked as well!  I was hoping to upgrade my cert to 2008 soon to save time on the 2012 exams.  The 2005 MCIPT was a lot of work and it's not so much the cost of taking both of the 2008 exams, but rather the time I have to take from my schedule to go and actually take those tests - jeesh :(

I hope they can extend the upgrade exam.  If we can still take the SQL Server 2008 MCITP tests, then  I don't see how this makes sense; the content on the upgrade test is not about 2005 but rather about 2008, it follows that the upgrade tests should expire when the 2008 tests expire, not when the 2005 tests expire!

Friday, August 31, 2012 7:12 PM
  • Got a reply from Microsoft:

Upgrade exams are for intended for early adopters who hold the credential for a previous version of the same technology. Generally speaking, we keep them in market two or three years after the newer version is released and then retire them. In this case, the upgrade exams were available for more than three years.

Jeff Wharton

Friday, September 7, 2012 3:18 AM
  • I really appreciate you following up on this, Jeff. Thanks!

This is the easy answer from MS, though... It still doesn't make sense to me. I guess we'll need to accept and conform to that decision... :(

Regards,

Andre

Friday, September 7, 2012 3:36 AM
  • Thank, you, Jeff. However, that's not a good answer from Microsoft.

Windows 2008 has been out for four years.

Why are they still letting people who were certified nine (9) years ago on Windows Server 2003 upgrade to Windows Server 2008, released four years ago?

The MCSA/MCSE 2003 UPGRADE exams for Server 2008 will retire on July 31st, 2013.

The upgrade exams were released in October 29, 2007 - almost six years before they are scheduled to retire! I hope six (6) years is enough time for those folks to upgrade. Meanwhile, the SQL 2008 UPGRADE exams were released on Nov/Dec, 2008 and are already retired.

Here are the two MCSA/MCSE 2003 upgrade exams (released on October 27th, 2007) scheduled to retire on July 31, 2013:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-648
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-649

MCSA/MCSE 2003 UPGRADE PATHS:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver-all.aspx

Again,  thank you for asking, Jeff.

Guess we'll just have to grin and bear it.

Good luck to all.

Friday, September 7, 2012 6:43 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank, you, Jeff. However, that's not a good answer from Microsoft.

Then I suggest you contact them directly to voice your concerns.

Jeff Wharton

Friday, September 7, 2012 11:05 PM