Format Drive Z - HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Have had no complaint with WHS and today was setting up a reformat install of Win 7 Home Premium on one on my PC's.  Installed the WHS connector without problems.  Went to yesterday's backup of that computer to start to populate some of the data files and BANG - got a request at 81% to "format drive Z".  I don't have a drive Z on that computer.  Now I cannot access my backups on that or any other of my computers though all was fine yesterday.  Running licensed WHS with Beta 3.  HELP!!!!!!!  I need that data.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:30 PM

All replies

• Reboot your server, and see if that helps. If it doesn't, reboot your server and your client PCs.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Ken, you are truly a friend to this forum!

Actually did reboot the client and the server before posting.  No joy.  Went to another computer and was able to access other backups without problems.

When I tried to access any backup from that one client computer though errors out on all of my computers at 81%, same "format Z" error mounting.

? reinstall WHS connector??
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:40 PM
  • Drive Z: is the pseudo-drive that Windows Home Server creates to allow you to mount a backup.

I would recommend two things: First, for the computer that you want to restore from, mark every backup as permanently retained. Then submit a bug on Connect (include logs from server and one or more clients, collected using the Windows Home Server toolkit), and waiting. I know you want your data back, but the fact that you can't open any backup from that computer, using any client computer, isn't promising.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:47 PM
  • I'm having the same problem when browsing a certain computers backup.  Was there any resolution to this?
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 10:14 PM
  • I'm having the same problem when browsing a certain computers backup.  Was there any resolution to this?

I did as Ken suggested and submitted on Connect.  You can find the thread there.  Have communicated with Microsoft but haven't heard for a week or so - ?????
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:03 AM