Windows Image Acquisition RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone help me get Windows Image Acquisition working on Windows Home Server? When I plug in my webcams to the Home Server, they show up fine in Device Manager, but there's no sign of them in Control Panel\Scanners and Cameras. I've enabled the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service, and also tried changing it to use the Local System account. I'm trying to write an Add-In that uses WIA to capture images from one or more webcams. The cameras work fine on Windows XP, and I can capture images using Scanners and Cameras. The cameras also work fine on Home Server using avicap32.dll to capture video in a .net program. If I try and run C:\windows\system32\wiaacmgr.exe it just complains that the 'computer cannot detect a scanner or camera'.
    Any ideas anyone?
    Many thanks,
    Pete Cousins
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Pete,
    usage of Windows Home Server in this way is not supported.

If the WIA service is interacting with a device or not, depends mainly from the driver. Since Windows Server 2003 (which is the basic for Windows Home Server) does not include such drivers in it's basic set (multimedia desktop access is not the planned main usage scenario of Windows Server) there is a good chance, that you need to install drivers for the camera separately. If those are not compatible with Server 2003 and the WIA service, you are basically out of luck.

Did you reboot after enabling the service and setting it to autostart, but before connecting the device?

Here you can find a list of devices supported out of the box.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Pete,
    usage of Windows Home Server in this way is not supported.

If the WIA service is interacting with a device or not, depends mainly from the driver. Since Windows Server 2003 (which is the basic for Windows Home Server) does not include such drivers in it's basic set (multimedia desktop access is not the planned main usage scenario of Windows Server) there is a good chance, that you need to install drivers for the camera separately. If those are not compatible with Server 2003 and the WIA service, you are basically out of luck.

Did you reboot after enabling the service and setting it to autostart, but before connecting the device?

Here you can find a list of devices supported out of the box.

Olaf
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:57 PM
  • Thanks very much for your prompt reply - and all the information. Unfortunately my webcams aren't on the list (too new I think !!).
    When you say that the use of Home Server in this way is not supported, do you mean using WIA, or just plugging webcams into it in general? If the use of webcams would be supported, can you suggest another way to capture the images that would also be supported?
    Many thanks again,

Pete Cousins.

Saturday, December 13, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Pete A Cousins said:

Thanks very much for your prompt reply - and all the information. Unfortunately my webcams aren't on the list (too new I think !!).
    When you say that the use of Home Server in this way is not supported, do you mean using WIA, or just plugging webcams into it in general?

Logging into the server desktop for any reason is unsupported.  All interaction with WHS should be done through the Console.

Pete A Cousins said:

If the use of webcams would be supported, can you suggest another way to capture the images that would also be supported?
    Many thanks again,

Pete Cousins.

Saturday, December 13, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Hi Pete,
    Pete A Cousins said:

If the use of webcams would be supported, can you suggest another way to capture the images that would also be supported?

you can take a look here.
    Maybe this helps you to come further.
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:16 PM
  • Thanks very much.
    However I've tried Active WebCam, and although it's very good, I'm working on a Home Server Add-In to give some similar (but more limited) functionality, purely through the console. I wanted to use WIA to access the cameras via my add-in, but as that's looking unlikely, I need another method that's fairly simple and robust.
    Thanks again,
    Pete Cousins.
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:13 PM