Integrate HomeServer Backup into OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• I've got two or three Microsoft Backup solutions running....

1) The one that came built into Vista Ultimate

2) The one that shows on the Live OneCare screen (Not sure if this is the same as #1 as I don't use it)

3) Backup from Home Server

It would be nice to be able to go to the Live OneCare backup screen and:

1) see when the latest Home Server backup had been done

2) add Home Server as a backup destination

3) Kick off a backup from OneCare.

How hard would it be for OneCare to integrate with HomeServer if it detects the client software on the client?  How hard would it be for the Home Server client to integrate into OneCare?  Probably not too hard.  Just guessing though.

T

Sunday, May 13, 2007 2:33 AM

All replies

• Very true.   I don't like the fact that OneCare nags me because it doesn't recognise WHS has a full backup.   Perhaps it could be added to the final version of the WHS Connect software?
    Monday, May 14, 2007 10:36 PM
  •  rtgillin wrote:
    Very true.   I don't like the fact that OneCare nags me because it doesn't recognise WHS has a full backup.   Perhaps it could be added to the final version of the WHS Connect software?

I have OneCare running on 3 computers (2 XP, 1 Vista) that are connected to WHS. I used OneCare's options (OneCare Settings - Backup - Automatic backup and remindes = Off) to turn off its backup, relying on WHS's backup instead.

I have yet to have OneCare nag me. The last tune-up reports suggests 24 files were not backed up; however that is to be expected...

Jay

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:20 PM
  • My recommendation would be that you pick one backup solution and stick with it. The one that gives you the best warm fuzzy when you think about it is the one to go with. Smile

The problem with integrating WHS with OneCare is that they come out of different groups in Microsoft. Who would do the integration, the WHS team or the OneCare team? and on the WHS side, I don't see any published APIs that would let an external application start a backup. So there might be significant technical challenges to overcome.

Not that it couldn't be done. I'm pretty sure it could. It's just that it's likely to be a larger project than you probably realize.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 7:00 PM