Expanded drive enclosure issues with SI3132 drivers.. Help, plz! RRS feed

• Question

• I currently use an external 5-bay eSata enclosure to house all of my data drives.

I plan to upgrade my current enclosure to an 8 bay device.

Are there going be any issues I should be aware of when I transplant my existing 5 drives into the new 8-bay device?  Will WHS find the new drives appropriately?
    • Edited by sl0ppy Saturday, April 25, 2009 7:24 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 11:40 PM

Answers

• I currently use an external 5-bay eSata enclosure to house all of my data drives.

Are there going be any issues I should be aware of when I transplant my existing 5 drives into the new 8-bay device?  Will WHS find the new drives appropriately?
    It should work fine.  The drives are assigned a GUID when added to the storage pool and the GUID won't change (just the location of the drive).
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 3:03 AM

All replies

It should work fine.  The drives are assigned a GUID when added to the storage pool and the GUID won't change (just the location of the drive).
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 3:03 AM
  • Ok, so since having installed a new external enclosure (this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132016) I am have all sorts of issues.

My WHS machine constantly loses connection from everything else on the network.  I think I have traced the error down to this warning in the event viewer.

The driver for device \Device\Scsi\SI31321 detected a port timeout due to prolonged inactivity. All associated busses were reset in an effort to clear the condition.

My System log is literally spammed with them.

I have updated all the drivers for the Silicon Image devices in question, and I can actually read and write to the drive via standard WHS methods, but every time I get this log entry, the entire WHS box is unreachable on my network.  It makes it very difficult to stream video or anything else from the machine.

I have also scanned all the drives in question for bad blacks, etc. and there are none.  Also all the drives in the enclosure (only 2 of 8 atm) are brand new.

The Silicon Image port multiplier and PCI-E eSata card are both pretty standard devices; any help on this front would GREATLY be appreciated!!!
    • Edited by sl0ppy Saturday, April 25, 2009 7:29 PM
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 7:23 PM
  • This sounds a lot like a problem with your external enclosure. What that problem might be, I can't tell you. My general thoughts are: 
    • It could be that the external enclosure is spinning drives down and causing those errors
    • It could be a hardware problem with the external enclosure. 
    • It could be a firmware problem with the external enclosure.
    • It could be a hardware or firmware problem with the PCI-E eSATA card.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 27, 2009 4:03 PM
  • I've a ton of experimenting..

I'm 99% sure I've excluded any hardware only issues with the enclosure and the eSATA port multiplier card.

If I connect the enclosure with 1 drive to the server, the WHS OS see's the drive just fine.  I can write to it locally, share it; do all the things one would normally do.

As soon as I use the WHS Console and *Add* the hard drive to the storage pool, the problems arise.  I've repeated this process at least 5 times now; the drive works fine, I add it to the storage pool, and within 2 minutes I receive the aforementioned event where all the buses are reset. :/

I do suspect it is an incompatibility of WHS specifically with SI31321r5 SoftRaid5 Controller chipset PCI-E cards.  I say this because the motherboard integrated eSATA port has worked fine for months attached to my 2nd 5 disk array enclosure.  The intergrated eSATA uses the SI31321 SataLINK chipset.  A small but significant distinction.  There's something about the SoftRaid5, even in "pass-thru" mode (JBOD) WHS simpy does not like.  The SI31321 SoftRaid5 is probably the most common PCI eSATA card chipset there is. :(

I'm beginning to wonder if I should just switch to vanilla Server 2003.... I'm probably pushing the operational envelope WHS was designed for with 9TB already...
    • Edited by sl0ppy Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:33 AM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:18 AM
  • ... I'm probably pushing the operational envelope WHS was designed for with 9TB already...
    The largest server I've heard of was around 20 TB.

As for your problem, based on this latest information, a driver issue sounds very likely. You have two very different HBAs based on what are probably very similar chips. If you have two drivers that are competing for the hardware, that's your answer. I would try a different eSATA HBA, with a different SATA chipset.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:31 AM
  • hey I think I am using the same 8 bay enclosure as you if it is the rosewill 8 bay sata enclosure and it is working great for me with WHS and PP2.  

what Driver are you using for the 3132 Card?    I am using the NON RAID Bios and the NON RAID Driver and I am not having any issues with this configuration with WHS.

Driver 1.0.22.3 - 8\22\2008
    BIOS - 7.5.07 (b7507.bin)

Under SCSI and RAID Controllers the card reads as Silicon Image SIL3132 SATALink Controller.

If you do not have the above I would try flashing the bios to the non raid bios and then using this driver.   This driver should automaitcally install via windows update.   This will allow all drives to be presented to the OS in pass through mode and there is no RAID utility present.
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 2:16 AM