none
WHS Freezes up after about 30-45mins. RRS feed

• Question

• I am a computer tech and use WHS at my personal home.  I have been using it for over a year and it has been working great.  I recently have had a problem with it freezing up.  I added a new hard drive (WD Green 1.5TB).  I have run diagnostics on the 4 hard drives in my system (WD 500GB (2 of them), WD 1.5TB (1), and Seagate 500GB (1)) and ran MemTest86+ on the 2GB DDR RAM.  All passed tests just fine.  I wanted to run system file checker to see if I have any system files that have been corrupted.  I cannot run it because it is asking for WHS SP2 Disk and all I have is the SP1 from TechNet.  The system is a AMD Athlon 64 4000+ CPU, PCI Triton Chipset GPU, Gigiabtye Motherboard (with all devices except USB, SATA, IDE, and onboard NIC disabled), 2GB DDR RAM (2x1GB).  Are there any utilities that I can check the file structure or is there a way to use SFC /SCANNOW command?  Can I create a slipstream SP2 disc?  Can I download a SP2 disc?  What can I do to fix my home-brew WHS that I love?  I also thought I might have a bad NIC, so I purchased a 10/100/1000 Netgear PCI NIC and it did the same thing (after disabling the onboard NIC and installing current drivers).  What else can I try?

Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:16 AM

All replies

• Sounds like a thermal issue.  The system file checker is not a supported option on Windows Home Server.

A server recovery may solve the issue but before that I would boot a linux live cd and run something that is processor intenisve - my first hunch is that your CPU is overheating and causing your machine to shutdown.

--
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 12:32 PM