DRM Upgrade Button Is Dimmed--! HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• HELP. I have a Zune Player and I'm trying to connect it to my XBox 360, but when I go to sign in with my Passport ID, I get an error message and I can't sign in. When I searched the error message, it said I needed to reset my DRM. WELL, when I went to do that, I found the link for the upgrade and went through the steps (renaming my DRM folder, etc) , but when I come up on the actual webpage that is for the DRM upgrade, the button that says "Upgrade" is dimmed and I can't click it!!! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO UPGRADE IT if it won't let me??? I am signed on as an administrator on the computer and I can't figure it out. Does anybody have a solution to this problem? Please HELP! Sad
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:12 PM

All replies

• BUMP.
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:20 PM
  • BUMP?  Please explain.  I'm having the same problem.
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 4:22 AM
  • This is rapidly becoming a huge issue for people trying to play DRM protected content. I finally gave up and canceled my Rhapsody and URGE accounts when nothing could be done to fix the DRM on my PC. I was told reloading the operating system would fix the DRM, that was an unacceptable answer to me.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:22 PM
  • Welcome to the messed up world of Microsoft DRM. At some point this is going to become a very hot issue for the folks at Microsoft.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:25 PM
  • Bump  Have the Same Issue
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 10:17 PM
  • Ok, so I work for a DRM enabled content provider and we have been encountering this problem very often.  I have discovered a solution if you cannot access the button. 

I believe the cause of this is due to the scripting behind the page and it is not able to check the version numbers correctly or the code is faulty! GO MS GO!

Anyways....be sure you can view system and hidden files (Not discussed here.)

Navigate to documents and setting\all users\DRM

I choose to rename the dir to DRM_BAK and then reload the MS DRM page...Voila! now that MS checks it sees you do not have DRM and individualizes you again, and creates a new DRM store....

Hope this helps..

Matthew

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:48 PM
  • I too am having the same grayed out button on the DRM upgrade sie and I have seen your response above and have navigated to the area specified with all system and hidden files visible and I do not have a DRM folder there at all.  I am running XP.  I have ran a file search as well with no luck.  Could it be called something else or does it seem completely missing?

-MXBSP

Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:46 AM
  • I tried this and I can now play the tracks I couldn't before, I clicked on the track and up popped a box from "7digital" to log on and then click license which it then found and everything is working OK.......Many Thanks.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 6:45 PM
  • Waaahaaaah! i figured out an easier way  Big Smile

try getting to the dma upgrade page and download through internet explorer, i use firefox and was having a hard time.. hopefully this will work when u jump back on whatever browser ur using ^_^
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:48 PM
  • i used this update from microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx 

at the end of the page  it will say personal license update wizard

hope it helps

Monday, April 7, 2008 1:17 PM
  • Thank you sooooo much, you are the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:00 AM
  • I also do not have the drm file under all users or anywhere on the computer.  I tried using explorer and firefox to get the upgrade and I installed the personal license update wizard.  Nothing has worked.  I am trying to transfer a digital copy of a movie to the pc.  The disc says I need a security upgrade to WMP11 in order to do this but the upgrayed button is grayed out. Have tried on an XP system and on a Vista system, same results for both. 

Any other suggestions.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:51 PM
  • nickali

The DRM folder is a hidden protected operating system folder.  Go to  My computer...Tools...Folder Options...View...You need to un-tick the option to hide protected operating system files.  The DRM folder should now be visible  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM. Rename the DRM folder and then the dimmed button in the update page should now be visible. 

http://go.microsoft.com/FWLink?LinkID=34506

Sunday, September 7, 2008 2:29 PM
  • Thank you for this information it was verry useful !!!!!!!!

Sunday, October 26, 2008 2:13 PM
  • Thanks very much for your advice.  It worked.  I was going to give up.....

Saturday, December 6, 2008 9:19 PM
  • I've got the same DRM problem.  I turned on the ability to view hidden folders and I can tell which ones were hidden by the ghostly image of whatever folder or file.  I navigated to c:/documents and settings/all users but I do NOT have a DRM folder, same as this person here and I'm running XP.  Now, I DID run a file search for DRM and the only folder that came up for it was part of some program I had downloaded.  I found files that started drm followed by numbers but there was no DRM folder.  The license wizard did not solve the problem either.  I'm trying to use an amazon.com video player that requires DRM updating but nothing is working.  Anybody have a solution out there?

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:09 AM
  • I hate to bother.  I've got the same DRM problem and I apparently don't have a DRM folder.  I did turn on the ability to see hidden files/folders and I really don't have a DRM folder, at least not under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM.  I'm running XP and I noticed another XP user couldn't see the drm folder.  Any ideas? 

Saturday, December 13, 2008 5:25 AM
  • Ok guys, listen up. I have been trying to reset my DRM for the past 2 hours!

The upgrade button was dimmed and after an hour and 10 minutes on the phone with Zune, I was able to talk to a very helpful person. She had me go to this url   http://tinyurl.com/drmcleanup

after i clicked "Run" twice and "Yes" 2 or three times (which took all of 30 seconds total) a log window came up and the second line from the bottom said," Cleanup successful"

Halleluiah! Thank you whatever your name is! I wish they would let the first line tech reps know about this.

Anyway, it did the job, everything works now, all is right with the world again. Try it guys and gals.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 10:52 PM