none
MCITP, what is needed? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I decided I want to be MCITP certified... I have got no experience with server but I have intrinsic knowledge of IT. I bought myself the MCITP Training Kit to study and prepare for the exams. my question is, as someone with no server experience, is it a good idea for me to make a start on MCITP books straight away without any other certification? 

Would my knowledge on normal OS be enough for me to revise for MCITP? if not, what would you suggest? 

Monday, January 2, 2012 7:54 AM

Answers

• Start with an MCTS, since it is anyway a prerequisite for the MCITP certification. For instance, if you are pursuing the MCITP:Server Administrator, then you can first take either exam 70-640 or 70-642, which will give you a MCTS certification (later required for the MCITP).

Go to the exam description page, for instance, this one for 70-640:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-640&locale=en-us

and read all the entries under the "skills measured" tab. If you are familiar with all of these topics, then you can take the exam. Otherwise, use any available resources (such as the Training Kit) and do some practice on a few virtual machines that you can set up for the purpose, until you are confident enough that you can cover all the Skills Measured for your chosen exam.

Monday, January 2, 2012 8:23 AM

All replies

• Start with an MCTS, since it is anyway a prerequisite for the MCITP certification. For instance, if you are pursuing the MCITP:Server Administrator, then you can first take either exam 70-640 or 70-642, which will give you a MCTS certification (later required for the MCITP).

Go to the exam description page, for instance, this one for 70-640:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-640&locale=en-us

and read all the entries under the "skills measured" tab. If you are familiar with all of these topics, then you can take the exam. Otherwise, use any available resources (such as the Training Kit) and do some practice on a few virtual machines that you can set up for the purpose, until you are confident enough that you can cover all the Skills Measured for your chosen exam.

Monday, January 2, 2012 8:23 AM
  • To be honest, I've made a start on 70-640 training book, and in the book it says that "it is assumed that, before you begin using this kit, you have a solid foundation-level understanding of Microsoft Windows client and server operating systems and common internet technologies. The MCTS exam, and this book, assume that you have at least one year of experience administering AD DS."

now, I have no problem with windows os but like i said, I do not have any experience with servers. Anyway, as I read through the book, I came to a section to set up servers and I used virtual machines to do this but got stuck at a section where I had to connect "Server Core" to a domain I created but no matter what I tried, was unsuccessful. 

This is the reason for this post, if I somehow found a solution for my problem at the moment, I might come across something that I might not be able to solve without more knowledge... basically, I started doubting myself. Made me think that maybe it is a good idea to take a small course or exam for something that prepares you, or gives me the knowledge I need to pass MCITP.

Monday, January 2, 2012 8:41 AM
  • Indeed, joining a Server Core to a domain is more complex than joining a "full server", because in the former case you have to do it from a command line rather than using the GUI from Server->Properties. In general, you will find this same kind of trouble with most operations that you attempt on Server Core. If you have already tried everything that you found in the documentation, you can post a question in one of the relevant technical forums (see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/windowsserver).

If you still fail to make sufficient progress with the aid of the forum users, then you may consider taking an instructor-led course at a training center. If you take a Microsoft Official Curriculum course at a Certified Partner for Learning Soultions, then you will be provided with a workstation with all the virtual machines preconfigured as necessary for following the course. A Microsoft Certified Trainer will guide you through the class materials. These courses are typically expensive, et least when compared to the cost of books or training kits, but this may be the best option if you find that you get repeatedly stuck when trying to learn from just the written documentation.

Monday, January 2, 2012 10:35 AM
  • Yes, I've been through the Server Core stage and as I was familiar with command line, it was not too difficult to follow steps given in the book but even though everything was done exactly same way as stated on the book, I could not join the server-core to domain. 

I have gone through alot of forums, in fact, there has been a lot of people that had same problem at the exact same stage of the "training book" which made me wonder.... 

70-640 MCTS exam is for "Configuring Windows Server 2008 Active Directory"..., the version I have been using is Windows Server 2008 R2, could using the R2 version instead of normal make a change in the way servers are configured? or in other words, could this be the reason why I weren't able to join Server-Core to my domain?

Monday, January 2, 2012 11:53 AM
  • ????
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 5:29 PM
  • I'm only a reader and have no expertise in your field of interest, but the reason you have not gotten an answer is maybe due to the fact that you seem to be posting a technical question in a forum that is not a technical forum. I would ask over on a Windows Server forum.

Karl Thompson
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 6:55 PM