Forcing existing code to run RRS feed

• Question

• I have an existing piece of code that sits on the project and opportunity form that when a postcode is updated it performs a lookup and based upon it's results it updates two other fields.

The lookup has now changed so I need to re-run this same piece of code across all existing Active Projects and Opportunities, can this be done if so how?

regards,

Matt

Friday, April 10, 2015 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Matt,

You will have to run a separate data migration process to copy the data accordingly. From what you explained, I understand that code is a JavaScript customisation. If so, you won't be able to reuse it. You have several options to update the existing records:

• Create a workflow that does the same as the initial JavaScript code and run the workflow on demand.
    • Use an ETL tool to update the records. You can try SSIS + Kingswaysoft adapter or Scribe
    • Develop a C# console application to update the records using the CRM SDK and Web Services. 

Let me know if this makes sense or you need more details Matt.

Regards

Ramon

Saturday, April 11, 2015 3:53 PM
  • I like the idea of a workflow to do this, I need a lot of control over field contents so it will have to be a coded workflow, will need to look at creating a coded one to see how that goes, any pointer with this?

regards,

Matt

Monday, April 13, 2015 8:35 AM
  • The option of using a workflow (I was thinking in simple CRM workflow out of the box) is in case the migration process is simple and it doesn't require any transformation. If that is not the case, I would go for the ETL option.

What do you mind by "a lot of control over field contents"? Could you share with us part of the code/customisations that you have at the moment? That will help me to tell you the actual option I would use.

Saturday, April 18, 2015 8:50 AM