Why can I not install add-ins? (Option is completely missing?) RRS feed

• Question

• This is what I see when I see when I go to the screen to install an add-in...

http://www.g15forums.com/pictures/public/homeserver.jpg

Any ideas?

I believe the system to be fully updated...

Thanks for your help!
    Friday, April 10, 2009 10:27 PM

Answers

• Well I hate to think that is the only way to fix the problem. It took me hours to get this thing working again and transfer my data over and I really do not want to mess with the drivers and the possibility of losing everything again. It wouldn't be such a big deal if my server was not on an audio video rack with no monitor or mouse or keyboard and no easy way to hook everything back up to it. Not only that but it is a pain to get my SATA drives working as I have an add-in SATA card and WHS does not see any of my drives during any part of the install.

Did you install the drivers for it twice (once during the GUI portion of the install and again right after the first reboot, during the text portion)?

Being this is clearly a software problem (cannot see how it can be hardware) I am hoping that there is something I can do to 'fix' the problem rather than just throw in the towel and reinstall everything.
    You could try filing a bug report on Connect.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:41 AM

All replies

• This is what I see when I see when I go to the screen to install an add-in...

http://www.g15forums.com/pictures/public/homeserver.jpg

Any ideas?

I believe the system to be fully updated...

Thanks for your help!

Is this a fresh install?  If so, I would try it again (and if you get any errors during installation, take note of what they are).
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:07 PM
  • It is a fresh install after a long difficult process of migrating my shares from an old install. Everything else seems to work fine and I didn't have any errors during install...
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:12 PM
  • It is a fresh install after a long difficult process of migrating my shares from an old install. Everything else seems to work fine and I didn't have any errors during install...

Did you install any add-ins (or apps from the server desktop)?
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:13 PM
  • No. This is exactly how it was after the install. I have not had the chance to install any add-ins...
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:14 PM
  • No. This is exactly how it was after the install. I have not had the chance to install any add-ins...
    Did you get any errors during installation?  If so, I think your best option is to try a Server Reinstallation (or, if you have a spare hard drive laying around, disconnect all of your other drives from your server, connect that spare drive to your server, then do a New Installation to just that drive and see what happens).  You could also try another DVD drive.  Is this an OEM DVD purchased from a vendor or a downloaded image from MSDN/Technet (or somewhere else)?
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 12:23 AM
  • There were no errors during install. This is an OEM DVD that has worked on another setup.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 3:30 AM
  • Any other ideas?
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 3:26 AM
  • Any other ideas?
    Have you tried a Server Reinstallation yet?
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:06 AM
  • Well I hate to think that is the only way to fix the problem. It took me hours to get this thing working again and transfer my data over and I really do not want to mess with the drivers and the possibility of losing everything again. It wouldn't be such a big deal if my server was not on an audio video rack with no monitor or mouse or keyboard and no easy way to hook everything back up to it. Not only that but it is a pain to get my SATA drives working as I have an add-in SATA card and WHS does not see any of my drives during any part of the install.

Being this is clearly a software problem (cannot see how it can be hardware) I am hoping that there is something I can do to 'fix' the problem rather than just throw in the towel and reinstall everything.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:12 AM

Did you install the drivers for it twice (once during the GUI portion of the install and again right after the first reboot, during the text portion)?

You could try filing a bug report on Connect.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:41 AM