Blank slate to develop own system? RRS feed

• Question

• I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but here is my situation....

As some of you may know, Access web apps are retiring soon, and I'm looking for a new platform to build my replacement system on.

I have already built an SSIS package to extract the data from my access web app to our on-premise SQL server, which has significant improvements to the table designs and processes which were not possible with AWA's limitations.

My issue is, I'm stuck on what to use as the user front end for the new system.

I don't have much experience with Dynamics. However, I have been playing around with a free trial of dynamics 365 and I really like the feel of the UI, so I was wondering if it was possible to use my own tables with a dynamics front end and not use the pre-made tables that are built into it?

If this really is a stupid question, I apologise. The alternatives Microsoft have suggested just don't cut it for what I need to do (power apps), and having a traditional Access frontend just isn't an option for the environment I work in. 

Friday, November 17, 2017 1:08 PM

All replies

• You can create your own entities. But if that's not enough, you can maybe use it in combination with the new Virtual Entities feature. But then your data is read-only.

Saturday, November 18, 2017 9:11 PM
  • I'm not sure the ability to create a new entity is an available option on the test drive environment I have access too (I have the Talent one). 

Any suggestions on how I can get this feature activated?

Monday, November 20, 2017 7:58 AM
  • If you have the appropriatie rights, then you should be able to do this. Creating entities is a standard feature in Dynamics CRM. 
    Monday, November 20, 2017 9:46 AM
  • It says I'm a system administrator, but doesn't seem to allow new entity creation (or the ability to get to the settings menu where you choose to create one)

Monday, November 20, 2017 11:24 AM
  • Settings, Customizations, Customize the system. A popup opens. On the left side select Entities. In the menu select Add.
    • Proposed as answer by MGCRM Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:20 AM
    Monday, November 20, 2017 12:53 PM
  • Thank you for taking the time to respond. It seems that it wasn't available in the free trial I had. 

I started another from the finance/operations module and then made myself an admin there and all worked fine.

Its a little overwhelming at first glance, but doesn't take me long to learn new things usually. 

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 8:30 AM
  • You're welcome. Please, mark my answer. Good luck.
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:21 AM