Is a "Search Provider" in the works for Microsoft Translator? RRS feed

• Question

• I know you've provided a "Translation Accelerator" which will translate the current page but I'm looking for a Search Provider into which I can copy-paste or type something in Italian (for example) and have the www.microsofttranslator.com URL come-up with the text auto-detected as Italian and an English translation provided.

Is there a better place for me to suggest/request such a feature/product?

I believe the Search Provider needs to specify input to the page via query parameters so it might require enabling processing of query parms at the www.microsofttranslator.com website.

A v2 feature would be some configurability so that a user could specify Spanish (for example) as the destination language.

Thanks for considering my request!

Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• ChArcuri - this is an excellent suggestion and I will make sure to include this in our request feature list. Is this something that someone in the community build or would it have to be built by the translator team?

Feel free to email mtcont@microsoft.com if you might be interested in putting it together. 

thanks!

Vikram Dendi

Microsoft Translator

Vikram Dendi, Group Product Manager
    Microsoft Translator
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 8:47 PM
  • Hi ChArcuri,

you can do this easily. www.microsofttranslator.com takes query parameters:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/?text=Je%20t'aime&from=fr&to=en

You can leave out &from, and Translator will auto-detect the language (not safe for short strings)

You can leave out &to, and Translator will use the browser accept-language.

You may create a form on your site and GET the above URL, using the entered text as &text.

Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator

Thursday, May 5, 2011 1:18 PM