CRM 4.0 - Import contacts by use of the company number RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

after some struggles with data migration manager (still not working) I managed to import at least all customers to CRM 4.0.

The next step is to import all contacts of those customers. I did the following:

(please be aware that I have to use a German version of CRM and so I need to translate the terms by myself. Thus my termonology might not exactly match yours.)

I exported all the companies in a csv file to get the ID of each. I wanted to combine this CRM 4.0 ID with the company number of the to be imported contacts csv file.

Unfortunately this is not possible as there is only the possibility to map the field "Übergeordneter Kunde" (which translates to "superior/superordinate customer") with the company name.

I have more customers with the same company name that are only distinguished by the company number.

So is there a way without using SDK and data migration manager to map "superior customer" with my company numbers?
    Mapping with the company name is senseless.

If there's no other way can someone show me a SDK code sample for this import?

I hope you can help (like you always do here Wink)

Regards from Austria
    Markus
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 9:48 AM

Answers

• 1.  Are you using the automatic mapping, or are you doing a custom mapping?  Use automatic mapping if possible (just change your column headers to match the labels of the fields).

2.  How are you entering your guids?  just the numbers and dashes, or are you including the brackets { }. do not include the brackets.

3.  Post an example of your data, and I will be glad to look at it.  Sometimes if you get the "data is not in the right format." error it indicates that there are some invalid characters, such as commas, in your data.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Marcus,

If you are using the import utility, you can use the name of the company, unless you have multiple companies with the same names.  If you do have multiple companies with the same names, the best way to do it is to use the GUID of the account records--no need to use the company number.  You want to use the guid, as that is the unique id.

Personally, I use Scribe insight to do this--it is much easier.

Sunday, October 26, 2008 9:49 PM
  • Hi Joel,

that's what i tried to do in the first place. Using the GUID of the account. But in this data mapping table where I map for instance the email address in the csv file with the email field in CRM I don't find an according field for GUID.
    Do you know how this is called or what I have to do to map it?
    Monday, October 27, 2008 8:34 AM
  • You would just use the same field as you would for the name. For example, on your contacts, put the GUID in the parent customer column.

See this example from Sonoma Partners:

http://blog.sonomapartners.com/2008/03/using-the-nativ.html

Monday, October 27, 2008 10:37 AM
  • BTW, did you know that if you have your columns in your csv have the same header names as the attribute display names in CRM, you don't have to do the mapping?  It will do it automatically.

The best way that I have seen to do this is to get a view with the columns that you want, say of contacts, export it to excel, and use that as a template to populate your import, then save it in csv format.

One other thing to look for is to make sure that you don't have any commas in any fields, if you use csv.

If you do have commas in there, save as a text file and choose a different delimiter, such as tab.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 10:51 AM
  • Dear Joel

You can use the Data Migration manager,

You can map your excel using the data migration manager.

Run your migration manger and step forward your mapping.

Map the contact Account ID field with Account then next it asks you with which field do you want to map specify the id

and step forward it will be done.

Best regards

Monday, October 27, 2008 11:41 AM
  • Hi Joel,

thx for reply.

Joel CustomerEffective wrote:

You would just use the same field as you would for the name. For example, on your contacts, put the GUID in the parent customer column.

This is what I did. I mapped the GUID to the field "Übergeordneter Kunde" (superior customer). During the import I got the error that source data has not the right format (0x80040356).
    There's no attribute called 'company name' within the contacts entity as it is in 'company'.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 12:12 PM
  • Dear E.goldstein
    did you use the Datamigration manager???
    Monday, October 27, 2008 12:16 PM
  • Yes. I got error messages everytime I used it. It never could connect to the CRM.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 12:32 PM
  • I looked at http://blog.sonomapartners.com/2008/03/using-the-nativ.html and this is exact the way I tried to solve this import problem.
    Mapping GUID with Parent Customers. GUIDs format is e.g.: 119c0bba-6a9b-dd11-97b8-001a648ba056
    Monday, October 27, 2008 1:01 PM
  • Ideas anyone?
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:41 AM
  • 1.  Are you using the automatic mapping, or are you doing a custom mapping?  Use automatic mapping if possible (just change your column headers to match the labels of the fields).

2.  How are you entering your guids?  just the numbers and dashes, or are you including the brackets { }. do not include the brackets.

3.  Post an example of your data, and I will be glad to look at it.  Sometimes if you get the "data is not in the right format." error it indicates that there are some invalid characters, such as commas, in your data.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:06 AM
  • Hi Joel, thanx for helping me again.

1. I'm using custom mapping, but I will try automatic mapping.

2. Without brackets like 1a9c0bba-6a9b-dd11-97b8-001a648ba056

3. This is one line of my test import csv file:
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 12:21 PM
  • Unfortunately automatic mapping is not working. Is there something bad in my csv-file concerning the GUID?
    I always get the error code at this column while importing. It's frustrating.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:04 AM
  • Following GUID format did work:

"account, {269c0bba-6a9b-dd11-97b8-001a648ba056}"

But thank you for helping.

Regards,
    Markus
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:14 PM